So what are we going to do about it?

My opinion after watching this activity evolve for more years than many, but not as many years as most: trends truly do come and go. The good ones generally stay and the bad ones generally are short lived. I realize that not everyone will agree wholesale that all trends that have stayed are good, but in general, the ones that have lasted seem to all be met with either enthusiasm or benign acceptance by the fan base at large. I have to say that as an educator, the trends that lead away from musicality and performance enjoyment seem to go as quickly as they arrive. Because of the long arc of drum corps & competitive marching arts history and evolution, I never tend to worry about trends I don't care for, whether they're being rewarded or not. They truly will pass if they don't further the activity.

• Like 2

There are (extremely highly competitive) high school bands with large hornlines who are micing the top two players in each section and putting that into the main mix.

I think it should be done away with, but this seems like it clearly has its impetus in that style of performance. I stood in front of a corps the other night and knew exactly what I was hearing - the best players wearing mics and produced through the mix for the entire show.

25 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Like most other things, if it's done well, okay.    But a couple of things I object to:

1) Use of amplified horns to create volume like the ''big boys" when they can't do it themselves.

The corps I just referenced was certainly one of the 'big boys.' In fact, one of the top boys.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Good topic!

This is NOT an anti-amplification effort. Any change that solves a problem deserves consideration, and maybe an honest try. Uncontrolled new developments of any sort create a risk. Expanding-out amplification is different. It effects the essence of what we are.

What "problem" is being solved by a growing dominance of instrument amplification in our productions?

How do corps with big budgets separate themselves from corps with smaller budgets and get better results and medals?

How do corps who do not draw quality performers at auditions compensate for the lack of experience and ability?

How do corps with quality performers generate good results with fewer imputs from the mms?

How do designers bored with designing drills and band music for football fields generate more money from lobbyists and manufacturers while garnering endorsements and the attention of non drum corps field performance possibilities?

Sadly no trend or change in DCI in 45 years has occurred without someone making money from it; I don't mean the mms, the corps, or me.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the OP on this point.  Listening to a miked, remixed horn line is a little like my wife watching Married at First Sight and thinking it's a real wedding.  At a basic level they are both just fiction.

Perhaps the solution is to mike and amplify a few disapproving fans...

Edited by WaxDCIFan
Typos like alwsya!
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lead said:

There are (extremely highly competitive) high school bands with large hornlines who are micing the top two players in each section and putting that into the main mix.

I think it should be done away with, but this seems like it clearly has its impetus in that style of performance. I stood in front of a corps the other night and knew exactly what I was hearing - the best players wearing mics and produced through the mix for the entire show.

Who? I like to consider myself highly involved in the BOA world and I know of no group who does this. Not saying you're wrong, just doubting your claim when it's presented without evidence.

All these changes are why I became uninterested in the activity.  Great for some, but not great for others. From time to time I check in with Spirit, but for the other corps I neither really care or am interested.  

I thank Hopkins and all the other corps directors who thought (voted) for amplification, slides, and electronics... Oh well, I do wish all the kids good luck and pray for them!

Edited by jsualumnus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

It is readily becoming apparent this season that the new trend of amplifying entire hornlines (or large ensembles) is not sitting well with the fanbase. I have seen many calls for either the judges to limit rewarding or even penalize amplification of this magnitude, I've seen calls for DCI to change rules to better define what can and can't be done.

All this clamoring will not do anything if confined to DCP. 

Action is what brings change. I ask the community, the fans, parents, and alumni, for help in drafting an open letter to DCI. We obviously have concerns, let us voice them directly.

Being able to sign on to the letter will obviously be important, as there is strength in numbers. It should be disseminated as far as possible as well: to Reddit, at shows, etc. I do not know a platform that will facilitate this, so help here is appreciated. 

Below, I've typed out an example of what this could look like. Please help me flesh it out a bit. I will consider all criticism, as long as it is constructive. And please, keep the subject to amplification and electronics usage, this is not the proper time for an argument about rights, streaming, the fan network, etc. 

Lol 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lead said:

I don't care what BOA allows and does not allow.  I care about DCI going to a place it should not go.

15 minutes ago, Lead said:

This reminds me of when snares lines would "choke out" the lesser player.   

• Like 1