So what are we going to do about it?

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Impossible to distinguish real vs sampled vs live vs recorded if 'all sounds' are projected through amps, yes. But live brass accoustic sound projected directly out of the bells of the horns can be distinguished from any form of brass sound projected through an amp.

You need to get in a press box & see what you think then . . . you just might be surprised.  With all the layered textures and artificial resonance dialed-in these days, there are things that are indistinguishable at a distance.

1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

You need to get in a press box & see what you think then . . . you just might be surprised.  With all the layered textures and artificial resonance dialed-in these days, there are things that are indistinguishable at a distance.

I have adjudicated many times from up top.  And other than really low frequencies the location of sound production, along with minor Doppler issues created via movement, can actually be pinpointed by the human ear. So unless each brass instrument has its own internal speaker moving around in direct proximity of it's bell, the sound produced by that instrument through a stationary speaker will be in conflict with the motion of the instrument producing that sound. Also, in a concert hall or stadium situation the human ear certainly can distinguish acoustic vs speaker driven sound. Thus, if you put the same corps on the field playing the same show, one amplified and the other acoustic, you 'will' be able to tell the difference. There is no way to circumvent physics.

Edited by Stu

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

A lot would argue...me included...that amp'ing an ENTIRE brass line for the ENTIRE show is NOT improving the activity...This is not an argument of not embracing change either...it stems at DESTROYING the very foundation of our performance based activity as we've know it...if you can't see that..I really don't know what else to say...

Well, tough luck. The folks at the live shows seem to be eating it all up. I get that change is spooky and all, but you're being a little melodramatic my man. The performers, if you haven't been able to see their close shots, are having the time of their lives performing these shows. I highly doubt the top 6 corps are having recruiting problems. Drum corps is going to keep going in different directions, and the common folk will go nuts for it, and DCI will make money. 

• Like 1

complain all you want. they'll do what they want to do

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

complain all you want. they'll do what they want to do

Not if the complaint is registered by enough people refraining from spending money on tickets and souvies and staying home.  Take away their source of fan income and they will do what the 'majority of the fans' want.

Corps are doing this kind of stuff to appear modern and up to date. Experimenting with different soundscapes with little good effect coming from it. If you don't have a professional sound team like Bloo's, just stop trying. 

This amplification of entire hornlines is dumb as hell and being done because the designers need something to excite themselves over. 

/hot take

:peek:

• Like 3

I haven't noticed a huge difference in amplification this year as compared to last year. Perhaps I'll feel differently after Indy where I see all corps in a domed setting. What I do find problematic is a corps starting late due to electronic issues that are their responsibility and not stadium issues and not being penalized, issues regarding amplification during the show thst are in their control not impacting the scores, and non marching members mixing during shows and adjusting sound. Everyone involved in the show should be marching members. Some of these issues may change, but will I boycott shows because of any of these issues, no.

Spent MANY years attending live drum corps events. Most often from lower seating rows and at field level. Loudspeakers out front have pretty much destroyed my interest in doing that anymore. Now, if I'm on the property, horn arcs warming-up outside the stadium do more for me. 

• Like 1