So what are we going to do about it?

9 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

As much as I do not care for it, I think it will be tough for the corps directors and DCI to come up with a rule that says something to the effect of only solos can be mic'd.  

Tough in what way?  It is easy to formulate a rule limiting the number, type and/or location of instrumental performers who can be amplified.  It is tougher to enforce said rule.  Tougher still to say "no" to the industry that got marching music hooked on this sonic crack in the first place.

(looking left, looking right, up, down)...

Nothing to see here... Moving on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

It solved the Yamaha second-quarter sales shortfall.

Good one!

We can all accept the benefits gained by amplifying the pit and individual soloists on the field. But, all the electronic "goo" and forms of "trickery" are less utilitarian, more distasteful.

11 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

The fanbase is not the reason DCI exists. It exists to serve youth.

. . . well, allow me to modify: DCI exists to help the individual corps serve youth.

I disagree.

DCI is just like any other business,non profit or not.

They exist to make money to perpetuate their organization.

No money,no DCI.

Non profit,does not mean a charity.Ask any non profit hospital.

In my opinion,until what's done on the field affects their bottom line, I don't think DCI really cares what a few (i don't know how many members DCP has) die hard fans feel.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CCond said:

I don't understand why This is an issue now... corps have been experimenting with this for years. I mean, did nobody notice that the bluecoats had more speakers on the field than contras in the hornline in 2016? That show was fantastic and almost everybody that saw it ate it up. This activity is designed to evolve. To become new and different, and to reach new generations. If we rehashed the same techniques we used when we were limited by the technology of the time how are we improving the activity? It's a hip hop world out there folks. Keep up, enjoy the incredibly hard work the members are putting in, or get out of the way. These shows are rather enjoyable if you let them be instead of choosing to be upset about things that are new and different. 

But this activity is not evolving, but rather, devolving into another parallel activity (marching band).

As a historical reminder, competitive drum corps and marching band were established as parallel activities by their founding organizers back in the 1920s.  This type of (d)evolution is not what drum corps was designed for.

13 hours ago, exitmusic said:

Were you around here several years ago when some guy that posted here actually got one of the corps to give him a few minutes to present at the BoD meeting in regard to why amps are bad?

The guy was laughed out of the room, to put it charitably.

We are decidedly not British brass bands. We're an activity that evolves. Some of the stuff the engineers do is really cool. Some isn't. Then again, some of the stuff that is done acoustically is cool. Some isn't.

>> We're an activity that evolves.

evolves in to what?  I think that is the big question and concern. Because I don't know about you, I don't want the activity to evolve in to something that has no connection to what it's been (Successfully) for decades. 

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

But this activity is not evolving, but rather, devolving into another parallel activity (marching band).

As a historical reminder, competitive drum corps and marching band were established as parallel activities by their founding organizers back in the 1920s.  This type of (d)evolution is not what drum corps was designed for.

I believe that is a misguided view. The shows these corps are producing are far beyond what any marching band could achieve, amped or not. 

But more to the point of my first post at all; your petition won't do anything. DCI is a money making machine and they don't care what any of us think. If you don't consume it, somebody will. Since the finals attendance numbers are record shattering every year, I would guess that the activity isn't devolving in the eyes of the 30 or so thousand people that came to watch us all perform last year at Lucas oil. There will be more there this year, and my guess is they'll love it all too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

This argument has been made online for 17 years now, since the switch in 2000 to Bb horns.  It still hasn't happened.  DCI has stayed at the forefront of the marching activity, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. 

Mike

There is nothing we can do. We saw the failure of the fan outrage over amps. The designers and corps staffs clearly hold  fans in contempt while hiding behind ‘the kids’. We are too stupid to enjoy their art, we don’t know what the corps are really doing on the field, shut up and hand over your money.

I gave up fighting for the soul of drum corps years ago. As it creeps more towards sucks, I eye the door. When I don’t find enough to enjoy, I’m gone. 2009 almost did it for me as I didn’t like the synths, the dome or the shows. Greatly reduced my participation in 2010, went to maybe 1 or 2 shows and only went to finals night (skipped prelims and semis). 

All that any of us can do is walk away

• Like 1

I have been a drum corps fan since 92 and been to many shows, finals, etc.  purchased many dvd's and cd's over the years.....and I just sold my tickets for a regional show because I just can't do it anymore.  These new "uniforms", overuse of amps, dancing/prancing/thrusting, and some show designs are just not what I fell in love with in the past.  I can get my fix in the parking lots and youtube clips now (very sad to say) 

so to answer the question what are you gonna do about it... that's my answer. . Not go or buy the media this year (again, very sad to say)

It is time for 2 classes - not every corps needs to be WGI outdoors

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 2