So what are we going to do about it?

30 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Just go enjoy the #### shows and quit complaining. This year has been incredibly enjoyable so far. Holy crap people.

So by this you mean that people should only post thoughts from their happy place that agree with your assessment that the shows this year are incredibly enjoyable.  But the funny thing is that you just proved with this posting that you are also a 'complainer' of sorts here on DCP.  Read what you just posted and think for a moment on the truth of that statement, and hopefully you will have a good laugh pointing that complaint finger at yourself.

22 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

It is readily becoming apparent this season that the new trend of amplifying entire hornlines (or large ensembles) is not sitting well with the fanbase. I have seen many calls for either the judges to limit rewarding or even penalize amplification of this magnitude, I've seen calls for DCI to change rules to better define what can and can't be done.

All this clamoring will not do anything if confined to DCP. 

Action is what brings change. I ask the community, the fans, parents, and alumni, for help in drafting an open letter to DCI. We obviously have concerns, let us voice them directly.

Being able to sign on to the letter will obviously be important, as there is strength in numbers. It should be disseminated as far as possible as well: to Reddit, at shows, etc. I do not know a platform that will facilitate this, so help here is appreciated. 

Below, I've typed out an example of what this could look like. Please help me flesh it out a bit. I will consider all criticism, as long as it is constructive. And please, keep the subject to amplification and electronics usage, this is not the proper time for an argument about rights, streaming, the fan network, etc. 

I agree to a large extent as I believe this creates an uneven playing field when it comes to competition. I don't mind the use of electronics in general, but amplifying sections of groups of players to gain an advantage seems, on its face, to be disadvantageous to groups that don't have the money or the skill set within their group. While there is nothing we can do about it this season, I would be very surprised if it doesn't become an issue at the next rules meeting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ummm... DCI actually already has not two but four distinct classes: World Class, Open Class SoundSport, and Drum Line Battle.  Nobody forces Pioneer, for example, to compete in the WC against Bloo, Crown, BD, and SCV; they can choose to be OC, or SS for that matter, if they so desire.

Yeah I'm quite aware of those classes. My point is the top 20 world class corps shouldnt have to be wearing spandex uniforms and perform a WGI outdoors show to stay competitive.  Split the world class up into 2. One class be more flexible and hell allow woodwinds if you want because you know that's coming next.  Then the other class have more restrictions on electronics, vocals, instrumentation, etc.  

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

Yeah I'm quite aware of those classes. My point is the top 20 world class corps shouldnt have to be wearing spandex uniforms and perform a WGI outdoors show to stay competitive.  Split the world class up into 2. One class be more flexible and hell allow woodwinds if you want because you know that's coming next.  Then the other class have more restrictions on electronics, vocals, instrumentation, etc.  

this sounds vaguely similar to something Scott Stewart once proposed --

5 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

OK..2 classes..same shows though...acoustic groups go on last...haha

Just now, dcibrando said:

Yeah I'm quite aware of those classes. My point is the top 20 world class corps shouldnt have to be wearing spandex uniforms and perform a WGI outdoors show to stay competitive.  Split the world class up into 2. One class be more flexible and hell allow woodwinds if you want because you know that's coming next.  Then the other class have more restrictions on electronics, vocals, etc 

The Cadets, BD, Regiment, Blooo, The Cavaliers, SCV, and Crown actually did propose such a plan; not good, not good, because it forced all out but those 7 and put most of DCI resources into those 7 (which, by the way, is the only way to financially support such a small but extremely expensive class like you are proposing).  But even now the WC is for the big boys with the big toys playing in the big sand box; if a corps cannot afford to play with their buckets and shovels in WC, there is OC or SS.  Thus no need to split the current four levels into five or six.

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

The Cadets, BD, Regiment, Blooo, The Cavaliers, SCV, and Crown actually did propose such a plan; not good, not good, because it forced all out but those 7 and put most of DCI resources into those 7 (which, by the way, is the only way to financially support such a small but extremely expensive class like you are proposing).  But even now the WC is for the big boys with the big toys playing in the big sand box; if a corps cannot afford to play with their buckets and shovels in WC, there is OC or SS.  Thus no need to split the current four levels into five or six.

Then get ready Woodwinds will be coming next and DCI's transition will then be complete to WGI winterguard, indoor drumline, and winds just outdoors on a football field 

Edited by dcibrando