So what are we going to do about it?

23 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Who? I like to consider myself highly involved in the BOA world and I know of no group who does this. Not saying you're wrong, just doubting your claim when it's presented without evidence.

Not naming names. They are out there.

46 minutes ago, Lead said:

Not naming names. They are out there.

That's what two posters have said now and no one can provide examples from the BOA world of groups who mic their top players throughout the show. Still think it's a bunch of hearsay just to add to the pot. Provide evidence and I'll believe you. Until then, there's no need to bring this example in as a way DCI could go, because there's no reason to believe it's done regularly at the top levels (and is being rewarded) in the high school marching band world.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Medeabrass said:

I get it.  I'm not even suggesting anything should change.  Just illuminating an aspect of how we find ourselves where we are now.  One of those being that the competition element could be a reason there's a disconnect with the audiences who buy said tickets and souvies.  I'm just recognizing the nature of the beast as I see it.   Drum Corps was the best possible thing for me at that age because it combined my 3 favorite things: sports, competition, and music.  

The competition element is no different than years past; but what has drastically changed is the designers view of the artistic connection to the audience. Pre-Y2k there was an intense desire to 'entertain' through intensive music and spactacular drill; Post-Y2k it turned into a mission to 'educate' the audience on the progression of the art form. That in turn created the disconnect. At least in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

That's what two posters have said now and no one can provide examples from the BOA world of groups who mic their top players throughout the show. Still think it's a bunch of hearsay just to add to the pot. Provide evidence and I'll believe you. Until then, there's no need to bring this example in as a way DCI could go, because there's no reason to believe it's done regularly at the top levels (and is being rewarded) in the high school marching band world.

How about the BOA Grand Nationals Champion in 2013 wireless miking 26 players the whole show - that specific enough for you?  Find your own evidence.  I have mine.

3 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

How about the BOA Grand Nationals Champion in 2013 wireless miking 26 players the whole show - that specific enough for you?  Find your own evidence.  I have mine.

The Woodlands, then? Just say "The Woodlands."

Mike

1 minute ago, Schnitzel said:

That *IS* specific enough, thank you so much! So, now my questions are: were the 26 players' mics on the entire time, or just for solos & solis? Because what everyone is claiming is that various top level high school marching bands are micing their best played throughout the show and blending that into...a full ensemble sound...that fits in with the non-miced full ensemble sound? And, if The Woodlands did pull that off, do you have some other examples? One group does not a trend make. Do TW regularly take that route with their full ensemble sound? I need specifics on this claim.

1 minute ago, Jake W. said:

That *IS* specific enough, thank you so much! So, now my questions are: were the 26 players' mics on the entire time, or just for solos & solis? Because what everyone is claiming is that various top level high school marching bands are micing their best played throughout the show and blending that into...a full ensemble sound...that fits in with the non-miced full ensemble sound? And, if The Woodlands did pull that off, do you have some other examples? One group does not a trend make. Do TW regularly take that route with their full ensemble sound? I need specifics on this claim.

Figure this out on your own.  Just think about what you're asking, and who would be in a position to know these things . . .  it does say "wireless miking 26 players the whole show  ," right?  There are MANY others, but you have to do your own factfinding. No offense, but I have no need to prove anything to you - think about it.

1 hour ago, Jake W. said:

I don't know BOA well enough to say for sure whether any of the leading bands do this. There is at least one small band (Alter) that appears to mic every player. They're so tiny I doubt they can risk miking only their "top" players (one per section?).

31 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

We're not detectives. It is customary in venues like this to back up potentially inflammatory statements with specifics and details. So thank you for specifying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lance said:

change or die

As in change back to unamplified drum corps? OK.