So what are we going to do about it?

On 7/17/2017 at 6:08 PM, shofmon88 said:

It is readily becoming apparent this season that the new trend of amplifying entire hornlines (or large ensembles) is not sitting well with the fanbase. I have seen many calls for either the judges to limit rewarding or even penalize amplification of this magnitude, I've seen calls for DCI to change rules to better define what can and can't be done.

All this clamoring will not do anything if confined to DCP. 

Action is what brings change. I ask the community, the fans, parents, and alumni, for help in drafting an open letter to DCI. We obviously have concerns, let us voice them directly.

Being able to sign on to the letter will obviously be important, as there is strength in numbers. It should be disseminated as far as possible as well: to Reddit, at shows, etc. I do not know a platform that will facilitate this, so help here is appreciated. 

Below, I've typed out an example of what this could look like. Please help me flesh it out a bit. I will consider all criticism, as long as it is constructive. And please, keep the subject to amplification and electronics usage, this is not the proper time for an argument about rights, streaming, the fan network, etc. 

Don't go to shows or support the activity with your hard-earned dollars. Money talks, and it's the only language DCI understands anymore. They don't give a rat's behind about the audiences they draw. This activity has turned into a collective circle jerk of trying to impress other designers and not the consumer. It's very near the point of operating in a vacuum.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Don't go to shows or support the activity with your hard-earned dollars. Money talks, and it's the only language DCI understands anymore. They don't give a rat's behind about the audiences they draw. This activity has turned into a collective circle jerk of trying to impress other designers and not the consumer. It's very near the point of operating in a vacuum.

Considering San Antonio already has record ticket presale, I don't think this is a statement you can accurately back up.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lead said:

Considering San Antonio already has record ticket presale, I don't think this is a statement you can accurately back up.

If people are already brainwashed to accept such a product, I can. This product is marketed as heavily to the marching members loved ones as to the general public. I don't see how things have changed. Has it sold out?

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I think it's both hilarious and sad when someone makes some assertion or statement, another person asks for evidence behind the assertion, and then the original person is all like "omg just look it up snowflake"

No. like what the ####? That's not how it works.

Ever heard of burden of proof? 

Some people... wonder where they get educated from sometimes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think it's both hilarious and sad when someone makes some assertion or statement, another person asks for evidence behind the assertion, and then the original person is all like "omg just look it up snowflake"

I agree...but at times when the proof is shown...there is still denial by the challenger...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Honestly though Cappy - no amount of me or anyone else sitting here talking about it is any 'proof.' Although I gave very vague examples (I am not naming names), I also think the best way to do it is for people to investigate for themselves. Look for the horn members wearing battery packs and wires. Look for ensemble using WAY too big of a mixer for their pit.

I can sit on the internet and say the sky is purple, but you have to see it for yourself.

I'm just telling people it's there. And it's no secret. And there are a LOT of them doing it. It's not like it's hard to locate. I'd guess there's at least band (or more) doing it at every Saturday show in the fall in my state, even if it's a small show.

And... it isn't against the rules.

3 minutes ago, Lead said:

Honestly though Cappy - no amount of me or anyone else sitting here talking about it is any 'proof.' Although I gave very vague examples (I am not naming names), I also think the best way to do it is for people to investigate for themselves. Look for the horn members wearing battery packs and wires. Look for ensemble using WAY too big of a mixer for their pit.

I can sit on the internet and say the sky is purple, but you have to see it for yourself.

I'm just telling people it's there. And it's no secret. And there are a LOT of them doing it. It's not like it's hard to locate. I'd guess there's at least band (or more) doing it at every Saturday show in the fall in my state, even if it's a small show.

And... it isn't against the rules.

I'm sorry but if you're going to make a claim, you back it up with specific examples. Not everyone has time to go look up every wild claim by a poster on a forum. 

It only weakens your argument by refusing to provide any specific examples. Makes one think something is fishy about the claim. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt you to procure some videos. As someone who knows NOTHING about BOA, I'm not about to start looking at every high school band that competes in the circuit.

sorry. 

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm sorry but if you're going to make a claim, you back it up with specific examples. Not everyone has time to go look up every wild claim by a poster on a forum. 

It only weakens your argument by refusing to provide any specific examples. Makes one think something is fishy about the claim. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt you to procure some videos. As someone who knows NOTHING about BOA, I'm not about to start looking at every high school band that competes in the circuit.

sorry. 

All it takes is for someone with a very good camera with some serious zoom capability to expose quite a few things. Then becomes the question - morally how would you go about posting something like that anonymously? Because nothing is truly anonymous on the interweb. Does someone want to be that "person" who puts that info out. Something about it does not give with me. 

55 minutes ago, E3D said:

All it takes is for someone with a very good camera with some serious zoom capability to expose quite a few things. Then becomes the question - morally how would you go about posting something like that anonymously? Because nothing is truly anonymous on the interweb. Does someone want to be that "person" who puts that info out. Something about it does not give with me. 

What does it matter if those things are exposed? They're doing these things publicly so anything is fair game