BEST BD BALLAD 2014-2017

Favorite BD Ballad 2014-2017   

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite BD ballad over the last four years?

• 2014: LA STRADA THEME
    • 2015: CHILDREN WILL LISTEN
    • 2016: MAIN TITLES FROM THE IMPOSSIBLE
    • 2017: EVERYTHING MUST CHANGE

1 minute ago, cube said:

Also for some reason I can't vote, but I pick a tie between 16 and 17.

Yea i noticed that too. I don't know whats wrong. I tried changing my vote and it won't let me.

While I know the thread is for the past four years, I feel like shouting out a few pre-2014 ballads, too. Specifically, "I Will Wait for You" in 2008, both versions of "A House is Not a Home" in 2011, and Gymnopedie in 2012.

Really, BD just has great ballads all the way down..."When a Man Loves a Woman" in '92 (though not sure it really counts as a ballad; seems like more of a production number), "Adios Nonino" in '99, all of the things in '98, "As Time Goes By" in '97...

Thanks for keeping the tradition of wonderful ballads up, BD.

• Like 1

"The young become the old

And mysteries do unfold

'Cause that's the way of time

Nothing and no one goes unchanged."

• Like 2

2017. What struck me most about it was the seemingly effortlessness of it. The lead trumpet just stood back on the staircase all relaxed and confident and tastefully wailed over the ensemble. Remember BITD when sops would lean back and nearly herniate themselves? Yeah, I like BD's approach much better. 

• Like 1

2016's show wasn't my favorite, but its ballad still struck an emotional chord with me like no other. That said, it was a very tough choice between 15, 16, and 17.

In order

2017. A wonderful modern take of the classic smooth West Coast jazz of the 80s.  I've been looping it listening this morning while waking outside and it's hard to believe this is being played by a hundred plus on a football field and not a big band ensemble at a summer jazz fest. 

2014. La Strada took my breath away as early as July 8 in Ft Wayne when I saw it live. We heard some Bluecoats staff behind us say "clean by early July. This is 16." The silences between hits seemed to suck the air out of your lungs and the chords to end it were a glorious payoff

2016. I see people call this show a 'miss' for BD sometimes perhaps because it didn't dominate. But the soloist to open the ballad was money every time. 

2015. Clara was a nice touch that made it all make sense in the show, and it was well performed, it just didn't yank me like the others have 

Edited by KVG_DC

What I loved about this year's ballad is the powerful impact midshow and then they brought back the reprise with the soloists wailing to end the show. Talk about emotional. My son said the ending felt sad and reflective at the same time.  Just some wonderful arranging that made such an emotional impact on those who have been part of the BD family as a member, staff, parent or fan over the years. 

• Like 1