I just became a Volunteer!

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

Now THIS could be a winner! I read the first three in the late 80's and then my career and travel distracted me and I've never picked it back up! 

One of my favorite series of books ever!

35 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm going to drive the Cavalier's van from San Antonio ( actually co-pilot on this leg) to Lafayette, LA. Then I'll be the "pilot" from Lafayette to Hattiesburg to Nashville back to my home in Atlanta. I'm like a kid at Christmas!

In all seriousness though, congrats! I hope to be able to do volunteer like that for a corps some day. When I retire, I hope it becomes a yearly thing. Enjoy your time and be careful!

• Like 1

Best part of volunteering as a driver is being part of the convoy - especially at night.  It's a great sight to be part of 3-4 busses, 2 semis, and other support vehicles that accompany a drum corps.   It's a very cool feeling.    Also, as a driver, you get to sleep in the next day and then wake up and go watch the corps practice.   Plus, your volunteer pass will get you in the shows.    It's great to give a little back to an activity that we all love so much.    

Also, if you get the chance sometime, try volunteering with the food trailer.  It's great to serve the kids.  They are always so appreciative of the volunteers.  Seeing their smiles and being on the receiving of end of their wonderful manners is a reminder of how special they are.  Funny thing is, they think we are giving to them.  Realty is, as volunteer, we get more in return than what we can ever possibly give.   You'll never forget the time you give.

Have fun and enjoy the rest of the summer!  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'd probably need to start back from the beginning...with Roland and the "lobstrosities". 

THose lobstrosities do drumspeak...Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ajlemm said:

In all seriousness though, congrats! I hope to be able to do volunteer like that for a corps some day. When I retire, I hope it becomes a yearly thing. Enjoy your time and be careful!

Though I'm not retired, I have taken vacation to travel with the corps.  Some folks go to Haiwaii, I go to Allentown and beyond!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Best part of volunteering as a driver is being part of the convoy - especially at night.  It's a great sight to be part of 3-4 busses, 2 semis, and other support vehicles that accompany a drum corps.   It's a very cool feeling.    Also, as a driver, you get to sleep in the next day and then wake up and go watch the corps practice.   Plus, your volunteer pass will get you in the shows.    It's great to give a little back to an activity that we all love so much.    

Also, if you get the chance sometime, try volunteering with the food trailer.  It's great to serve the kids.  They are always so appreciative of the volunteers.  Seeing their smiles and being on the receiving of end of their wonderful manners is a reminder of how special they are.  Funny thing is, they think we are giving to them.  Realty is, as volunteer, we get more in return than what we can ever possibly give.   You'll never forget the time you give.

Have fun and enjoy the rest of the summer!  

You're so right! Last week I drove up a couple of hours from my house to "take Gatorade to the Baritones". Well, after I got there and realized that the other sections weren't covered for Gatorade, I went to the Walmart nearby and bought Gatorade for the whole Corps. The appreciation of those young men was amazing. That said, most of this decision centers around the fact that after finals on Saturday at Lucas Oil, he will be at band camp at Jacksonville State the following Monday morning and we probably won't see him again until Thanksgiving with his fall marching and academic schedule. This is a chance to serve but to selfishly catch a 5-minute conversation with my kid every now and then. I'll take it. 

Oh...and the free entry into several shows was the cherry on top....I might even become "Periscope Guy" for DCP for  a week! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

You're so right! Last week I drove up a couple of hours from my house to "take Gatorade to the Baritones". Well, after I got there and realized that the other sections weren't covered for Gatorade, I went to the Walmart nearby and bought Gatorade for the whole Corps. The appreciation of those young men was amazing. That said, most of this decision centers around the fact that after finals on Saturday at Lucas Oil, he will be at band camp at Jacksonville State the following Monday morning and we probably won't see him again until Thanksgiving with his fall marching and academic schedule. This is a chance to serve but to selfishly catch a 5-minute conversation with my kid every now and then. I'll take it. 

Oh...and the free entry into several shows was the cherry on top....I might even become "Periscope Guy" for DCP for  a week! 

Yep, ice-cold Gatorade, officially from an individual bottle (full strength) is always so appreciated.    All but one of my corps serve(d) the Gatorade from the powder mix in the coolers.   It's not like the kids don't get the stuff, they just LOVE it when it's the real thing, ice-cold from their own bottle.  I guess it's the little things!   Funny you mention about going for more for the rest of the line - I've been there myself, making that extra trip back to the Walmart.   It's always worth it!   

• Like 2