TOC - Broken Arrow, OK - July 18

Listening to the ballad again, I still don't understand where it feels like the brass is playing second fiddle.  It's wonderfully arranged, and even if there wasn't a vocal soloist that arrangement would likely only work with a brass soloist in her place.  If I were being critical, I'd say there's maybe a total of 10 seconds towards the end where the vocalist and brassline clash a bit.

• Like 1

Tough to call, especially as even when there was sound, I didn't feel it was that reliable as to how the corps probably sounded live. Either that or Bluecoats have gotten a lot worse since Massillion and Pittsburgh. High-camera video image was generally fine, though. But my probably bad guess is:

1. Blue Devils 2. Carolina Crown 3. Santa Clara Vanguard 4. Bluecoats.

But depending on what the judges like, it could go otherwise tonight, and I think any of these four actually have the show and talent to win this year. Which surprises me about Crown, because earlier this year, I didn't feel that way. But the opener is wonderful and the closer, if not to my taste, is very impressive.

I only had the other four corps on the background while working, checking the screen only occasionally, so I won't predict the rest of the field.

(Hmm. Crown singer's pronounced "good" to rhyme with "food" in their show, which annoyed me, but in the encore pronounced to rhyme with "wood". Yes, do that.)

• Like 1

Just now, MikeRapp said:

We needed Boston at tonight's show, just to properly take care of Flo. 

Burn!

• Like 1

It's a California year. 

• Like 4

1. 86.750  Blue Devils

2. 86.250  Santa Clara Vanguard

3. 85.850  Carolina Crown

4. 85.150  Bluecoats

5. 83.250  Cavaliers

6. 81.650  Cadets

7. 79.800  Blue Knights

8. 79.700  Phantom Regiment