TOC - Broken Arrow, OK - July 18

13 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Visual Analysis judge and Brass screwed SCV over tonight.

I always take issue with a comment that says a judge screwed over someone. Maybe they just, you know, judged and called it as they saw it... One judge focusing on his specific caption during an entire show or a fan judging all captions during a show; hmmm I'll take the judge every time.

• Like 4

I'll give Brass to Crown, but 1st in Music Analysis? The very first Bach was phasing between the brass and front ensemble...

Just now, pudding said:

I don't understand a lot of these scores. Even discounting where I disagree on certain specific subcaptions, there are certain ways that subcaptions interplay with each other that would suggest disagreement between judges tonight.

Since there were no captions doubled up anywhere, the caption results from one judge to a different judge SHOULDN'T necessarily match up, especially when you've got so many strong corps neck and neck.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

BD has put up some shaky achievement scores in the past couple seasons in percussion, but that fifth place in content has to be a concern. Interesting to see if that's an anomaly or a trend. 

Mark it that's going to be one of the biggest stories to watch this year.  They struggle it's like 2001 and 2008 all over again. That affects MA scores as well. Good ripe opening for SCV.  Going to be a fun one. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Whoah there, sensitive. If you read that closely I didn't say their brass wasn't glorious in the second half. I said they take a backseat in focus to the vocalist. You might disagree, but when I watch the show, the vocalist steals my focus from the brass.

Totally agree with you. That poor hornline has become accompaniment in the 2nd half of their show this year. Oh well, I can still enjoy the first half. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I don't know that I've ever seen a year where there are four legit corps that have a shot at winning. I foresee BD holding this lead until we get to Atlanta, with all four corps staying within a point of each other. I think two or three will begin to pull away come August and then the dog fight will begin. 

In 2015, we had 4 championship shows in BD, Crown, Bloo, and Cadets.   Last year we had 3.  This year 4.  All good, alive and well in the competitive category.  Competition at the top has improved in recent years in spite of huge economic difference(s) at the top of the food chain.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Since there were no captions doubled up anywhere, the caption results from one judge to a different judge SHOULDN'T necessarily match up, especially when you've got so many strong corps neck and neck.

As a singular example, Crown 4th in Vis. Proficiency but 2nd in Vis. Analysis is very strange. Same with SCV 1st in Vis. Proficiency but 3rd in Vis. Analysis.

Edited by pudding

3 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Agreed. And those two will be BD and SCV.

And with just .5 between them..... it's only a matter of time. Keep pushing Santa Clara!! You got this!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Funny you say that since SCV actually won the Substance subcaption in guard tonight over BD.

I'm fully aware of that, but my opinion still stands. SCV is definitely executing better than BD at this point, and that increased clarity can help content scores as well.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Just don't agree. I would love to know what the judges think of the ballad. 

The thing with bc is, how do you evolve and add to this show? It moves so fast, everything is so tied together. At this stage, they have lost to all three of the other contenders. I don't see how they can overtake them. 

Nah, the bones are there for a winner.  There's still a ton to develop and clean, especially in the middle sections.  Bloo is not out of this by a long shot.  Staff and corps are too talented. 

Edited by Kevin.