TOC - Broken Arrow, OK - July 18

9 hours ago, superOOk said:

This is how I feel right now:

A new style / approach / gimmick, whatever you want to call it, is good for a championship. The hard part is the next X years, where the conservative nature of this community will naturally try to reign them back in.

Bloo has two main choices. It can 1) not give a #### about scores, and focus on producing the very best Blast! style show on a football field, or 2) revert back and design more for the sheets. I'm guessing it will be a mixture of both, but mostly #1. Bloo culture has never placed a huge importance on scoring. They are more concerned about making sure each member and the group as a whole is being the best version of themselves they can be. Everything comes after that.

As far as judging, I don't think judges are necessarily saying "Blast! is not DCI". I think what you are seeing (and going to see in the next decade) is a judging shift towards this new style, as long as the crowds keep reacting this way. It won't be a linear path. Both sides will tug and pull along the way, which means some years it's en vogue, and some years it's not.

Really good analysis!!  Nice!

I agree with this, but also feel that Bluecoats' style is not necessarily of Blast only comparison. There is definitely that, but I see traces of WGI and early 2000s Cavaliers visual sequencing with a Madison Scout style brass book. Even that is minimizing it some.

Bloo has evolved over the past 4 years to use props in new ways, especially the last 2 years. We've never seen props used quite like that.  Musically they have found a niche with contemporary minimalist music, alternative rock, and Latin grooves.  They have put those styles on the field masterfully.  Visually they utilize a similar sequencing of events we saw from the Cavaliers in their dominant run in the early 2000s, but it's mixed with the staging and dance that BD has been famous for.  Additionally, Bloo deals with sections of the show and sections of the ensemble in a theater like way (Blast!) that draws the viewers eyes to exactly what they want you to see.  The combined effect is truly amazing and unique. 

Bloo can still win this thing. They can easily medal if they clean.  Of the top 4 corps, Bloo is the dirtiest.  Crown is the cleanest, I think, and looks the sharpest and sounds the best; but sadly for Crown their last 1/3 of the show is a tough sell on the GE sheets. Bloo does not have that problem. I think Bluecoats GE is really strong, like BD and SCV. They just need to clean the feet. 

• Like 2