Why have a TOC show?

8 minutes ago, geluf said:

Those of us on DCP are a minority: we want to see everyone.  We're in our seats from the jump to catch every performance we can.

This is not at all the case for a major chunk of DCI's audience.  For many, the top 8-10 *are* DCI, as far as they are concerned, and they consider it a waste of time to bother with anyone below that threshold.  It's a harsh reality that I wish weren't true, but it is.  You see it even during finals week, where fans hang out in the lot with a top group rather than go into the stadium to catch lower-tiered performances.  Only finals night itself seems mostly devoid of this issue and that's because you're literally only dealing with the Top 12.  The elite for the year.

TOC shows are a recognition of that, and a response to it.  What I would like to see done to them is to tweak the format a bit: Have your big draws but then reserve two slots for corps outside of the usual Top 8-10 bubble.  Rotate them in and out so different corps get to do it, and the random draw helps ensure that at least part of the time they get a later time slot, sandwiched between the bigger draws so people see them.  Get some exposure to them.

Sounds good in theory. Let me tell you my and I believe realistic view. Some will stay and watch , others will run to socialize, bathroom break, concessions and souvie's which what many called Hot Dog corps. Many will still say, especially on line that they for sure would support BUT we all hear that all the time and never see it in reality.Pack a stadium with the smaller corps and see how much attention they will gets  $$$$$$$$$

Gezz , the lot get more attention!

Edited by GUARDLING

I think last night's TOC show may answer the question for some.   I've got to believe that if DCI were able to truly capture ratings, the OK show would have fared extremely well.      The concept started with a compromise to the G7.    Based on the growing popularity of the circuit, I don't think this is an area that needs fixed.          

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Sounds good in theory. Let me tell you my and I believe realistic view. Some will stay and watch , others will run to socialize, bathroom break, concessions and souvie's which what many called Hot Dog corps. Many will still say, especially on line that they for sure would support BUT we all hear that all the time and never see it in reality.Pack a stadium with the smaller corps and see how much attention they will get $$$$$$$$$

I'd rather sandwich a smaller corps, even with some loss in audience for bathroom breaks.  Those are inevitable.  You can lead a horse to water and all that. 

But not *everyone* will leave the stands.  You will get at least some of them.  The exposure has to start somewhere.

Plus, at least they could share the take.  Money always helps.

Edited by geluf

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Why have a TOC show?

It's because the G-7 corps have taken full control of DCI, ousted the executive director, and... oh wait... :tongue:

And all of it after Hopkins took that meeting with Putin and didn't bring his own translator.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geluf said:

I'd rather sandwich a smaller corps, even with some loss in audience for bathroom breaks.  Those are inevitable.  You can lead a horse to water and all that. 

But not *everyone* will leave the stands.  You will get at least some of them.  The exposure has to start somewhere.

I'm less optimistic I guess with what I have seen over the years BUT , hey, if it works great . I will also say though do you think , lets say OC corps or very low WC corps sandwiched between  BD and lets say Blue C..wants to be there? I don't think so AGAIN i will say if it works GREAT!

Edited by GUARDLING

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I'm less optimistic I guess with what I have seen over the years BUT , hey, if it works great . I will also say though do you think , lets say OC corps or very low WC corps sandwiched between  BD and lets say Blue C..wants to be there? I don't think so AGAIN i will say if it works GREAT!

You have to try *something*.  Otherwise we might as well give up the ghost and just contract DCI down to 12 corps and be done with it.  It does no good to just sit around with the status quo if the goal is to get exposure for other groups.

15 minutes ago, geluf said:

Those of us on DCP are a minority: we want to see everyone.  We're in our seats from the jump to catch every performance we can.

This is not at all the case for a major chunk of DCI's audience.  For many, the top 8-10 *are* DCI, as far as they are concerned, and they consider it a waste of time to bother with anyone below that threshold.  It's a harsh reality that I wish weren't true, but it is.  You see it even during finals week, where fans hang out in the lot with a top group rather than go into the stadium to catch lower-tiered performances.  Only finals night itself seems mostly devoid of this issue and that's because you're literally only dealing with the Top 12.  The elite for the year.

TOC shows are a recognition of that, and a response to it.  What I would like to see done to them is to tweak the format a bit: Have your big draws but then reserve two slots for corps outside of the usual Top 8-10 bubble.  Rotate them in and out so different corps get to do it, and the random draw helps ensure that at least part of the time they get a later time slot, sandwiched between the bigger draws so people see them.  Get some exposure to them.

I wonder if the people who only want to see the top 8-10 are themselves a minority. It seems to me that a lot of the people in a given audience have very little or even no idea of who the different corps are. They come to see the overall show, and at most, they have a sense that the corps generally improve in quality as the event proceeds.

Just now, geluf said:

You have to try *something*.  Otherwise we might as well give up the ghost and just contract DCI down to 12 corps and be done with it.  It does no good to just sit around with the status quo if the goal is to get exposure for other groups.

Agree, anything is worth a shot I guess.

This is just for reference; I posted it in the Broken Arrow show just before the performances started last night:

Originally the TOC was just the previous year's top seven or top eight. They've opened it up since then. I see seven shows with the name "Tour of Champions" on this year's DCI schedule. It's not entirely clear how they make that distinction. For instance, why is Masters of the Summer Music Games, which features all of last year's top eight (plus Music City), not so designated? But anyway, here are the seven events thus listed, in performance order, showing last year's placements:

7/15 Dekalb:  4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 16th

7/18 Broken Arrow:  2nd, 4th, 1st, 6th, 7th, 8th, 3rd, 5th

7/21 Houston:  10th, 7th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th, 4th

7/30 Winston-Salem:  14th,* 16th,* 17th,* 13th,* 10th,* 12th,* 11th, 4th, 5th, 8th, 1st, 6th, 2nd, 3rd

8/3 Chester:**  10th, 3rd, 1st, 5th, 6th

8/6 Orchard Park:  9th, 7th, 6th, 8th, 3rd, 4th, 1st, 2nd

8/7 Massillon:  12th, 10th, 8th, 5th, 6th, 3rd, 4th, 1st

*Order of the first six corps at Winston-Salem will actually be determined by the San Antonio results, which I have guessed. No idea why Crossmen are in that group while Academy is assured of a later time.

**Chester also features last year's DCA champion, presumably playing in exhibition

If my counting is right, that means this year:

6 TOC appearances:  Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cavaliers, Cadets, Phantom Regiment

5 TOC appearances:  Crossmen

4 TOC appearances:  Blue Devils

3 TOC appearances:  Blue Knights

2 TOC appearances:  Blue Stars, Academy, Boston Crusaders, Colts

1 TOC appearance:  Madison Scouts, Troopers, Mandarins

I understand why DCI usually tries to schedule corps in approximate rising order of quality, in order to make it easier for the judges to compare groups of similar ability and for the audience to go out on a high note. But sometimes shaking things up is fun. You see it more often in marching band competitions; it's quite amusing when some little but tight band that performed before most of the audience got there ends up winning lots of awards and everyone is saying, "Who?"

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

I wonder if the people who only want to see the top 8-10 are themselves a minority. It seems to me that a lot of the people in a given audience have very little or even no idea of who the different corps are. They come to see the overall show, and at most, they have a sense that the corps generally improve in quality as the event proceeds.

yeah they spend time in the lot, ( imo , get rid of that somehow)

many show up late, especially if it's a weekday show, etc etc...jmo

ok I'm done...no debate, I just wish lower corps would get more love, not on line BUT with $$$$$$$$$$$ at a show. It could change it all