Why have a TOC show?

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I wonder if the people who only want to see the top 8-10 are themselves a minority. It seems to me that a lot of the people in a given audience have very little or even no idea of who the different corps are. They come to see the overall show, and at most, they have a sense that the corps generally improve in quality as the event proceeds.

Watching the evolution of the audience population over the course of Prelims and Semi-Finals as the afternoon/night goes on is pretty eye-opening.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JKT90 said:

Tour of champions? Does that draw a crowd? There was a show in Millbrook AL the other day with open class corps only and they drew a good crowd. If a DCI show is in your neighborhood are you going? TOC is pointless. Doesn't draw a larger crowd...those in the area would go, regardless. 

it depends on whether there are alternatives.   My local high school's marching band is positioned geographically where it can attend either Clifton, NJ or Chester, PA, but it will choose Chester (which is nearly twice as long a drive) because of the TOC lineup (not to mention that it's a nicer stadium and easier to park the bus).

20 minutes ago, geluf said:

Watching the evolution of the audience population over the course of Prelims and Semi-Finals as the afternoon/night goes on is pretty eye-opening.

OK, but at a most local shows? When I ask people sitting near me why they're attending or which group they're here to see, as often as not they reply that they're there to see all the groups, that they saw the show mentioned in the local paper, etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, but at a most local shows? When I ask people sitting near me why they're attending or which group they're here to see, as often as not they reply that they're there to see all the groups, that they saw the show mentioned in the local paper, etc.

Your experience is very, very different from mine at local shows.  That's about all I can say.

• Like 1

Well, I admit I haven't been scientific in my questioning. And maybe it depends on where the show is?

49 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I agree.   But for most shows we attend, my wife, in general conversation will often ask someone sitting next to us, "who are you rooting for".   Invariably, it's usually one the top corps in competition during the evening.  

I can enjoy any show.  I've been to Open Class shows that have been terrific.   At some point though, I do want to see the best of the best.  And, like it or not, the best corps will bring in the biggest audience.  

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I agree.   But for most shows we attend, my wife, in general conversation will often ask someone sitting next to us, "who are you rooting for".   Invariably, it's usually one the top corps in competition during the evening.  

I can enjoy any show.  I've been to Open Class shows that have been terrific.   At some point though, I do want to see the best of the best.  And, like it or not, the best corps will bring in the biggest audience.  

There are some really nice Open Class corps. I was amazed when I saw them live!

• Like 2

We've had Murfreesboro with the top 8 for a very long time - 2 decades? And certainly any show with 8 finalists is going to sell very well and generate a lot of interest. So it's fan-friendly to have few of these each year.

The initial point was that the TOC shows were operated by "the seven", so they got to keep all of the net income from them. I know this is still the case with some: Dekalb = Phantom, Winston Salem = Crown, Chester = Cadets, Massillon = Bloo. Are they all produced by the former G7?

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

*Order of the first six corps at Winston-Salem will actually be determined by the San Antonio results, which I have guessed. No idea why Crossmen are in that group while Academy is assured of a later time.

The reason why the first 6 corps are at Winston-Salem is that there is simply not enough room for all 23 of the World Class corps to perform the day before at a high school stadium in Atlanta, so some of them had to opt to perform at W-S the next day (including the Crossmen).

As for the Academy, they will have performed the day prior in Atlanta, so it's presumed that they were initially supposed to be the one non-G7 corps invited to perform at the TOC show.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, derek005 said:

There are some really nice Open Class corps. I was amazed when I saw them live!

I really enjoyed watching Prelims at Indy last year, from the opening act to the end - about 14 hours!  Yeah, there were some stretches where my attention wandered, but I still remember admiring some things about Les Stentors in the very 1st performance of the day.