FLO REFUND

The sound issues have been there all along. Maybe they will come up with a fix.

The Flo production last night was certainly bad. REALLY BAD.  Both Flo and DCI already know WHY it was bad. I saw several signs of home consumer-type video equipment. The level of quality we see available at Walmart for $500. Obviously, the technicians assigned were amateurs with no knowledge of the shows, how to frame a shot, how to adjust for a brighter background, how to seamlessly zoom, how long to remain with a scene, etc. Generally, it was a Middle School effort with Middle School equipment. I seriously KNOW what that looks like having been an instructor of same for years!

Despite all this, why would anyone experiencing that debacle drop out of their pre-paid monthly subscription now? We still have huge Regionals and Championship Week to go for your $49!

A performance level this low can't happen at those events . . . . . . .  Can it ? 

• Like 1

The far bigger issue to me is audio quality.

What transpired last night was an embarrassment to any activity in which audio is a key component. Clearly there wasn't a single professional aspect to the chain of audio-related technology and expertise. It sounded as if there wasn't a sound board at all; the audio was set to a level that required us to turn our volume all the way up to max, and it was still too low to even hear anything outside of the 40 yard line and 30 yards back. This was akin to hiring the kids who run the Broken Arrow press box audio to do the field audio for a three hour concert. 

At one point during an early break between performances, a teenaged worker was viewed walking up to one of the three microphones and banging on the head, as if to see if it was on. This personifies the #### show that was Flo last night.

DCI deserves professional services. Flo will either make a public statement of commitment and guarantee to quality or DCI should step in and demand it, or else. If this happens in San Antonio, Flo should be put on notice for finals. 

• Like 3

I still haven't pulled the trigger yet on buying. Was probably going to do it this weekend, now I'm not so sure. Does anyone want to bring their iPhone to Finals and just Facebook Live the whole thing for us?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

DCI deserves professional services. Flo will either make a public statement of commitment and guarantee to quality or DCI should step in and demand it, or else. If this happens in San Antonio, Flo should be put on notice for finals. 

Does DCI receive any money from Flo for getting this gig?

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Does DCI receive any money from Flo for getting this gig?

I would guess absolutely yes. But regardless, Flo represents the brand. I am sure there are people at Flo who are furious this morning, but that has to extend to decisions on site.

I don't know how they manage streaming. I watched last night from my office, where we have high speed internet, and I didn't experience any of the awful issues I had experienced at home. But, even then, the quality of the video itself was not professional. This may have had everything to do with using amateur video cameras at a stadium that is not lit for professional photography. 

Of course this doesn't speak to the people running the switcher, or cameras. Which was a clown show.

I was pretty shocked at the s***show that was last nights broadcast.  I had tuned in to both Denver and Dekalb this past Saturday and had zero issues (apart from the horrible multi-cam shots of mallet heads and soloists who aren't soloing at that moment.) 

What is FloMarching's history?  They obviously had to have some sort of experience in covering the performing arts for DCI to approach them and bring them on board.  But it seems like a smooth, issue-free broadcast is the exception, not the norm.  

And more importantly, why does DCI continue to struggle with finding an acceptable platform to deliver this content to people at home?  They've been trying for a solid decade now and every time it seems like they're starting to figure something out, they completely change gears and effectively start all over again.

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

And Flomarching is not available outside of the USA!  DCI seems to have forgotten that there are tens of thousands of drum corps fans living  in Canada,  Europe, Asia and other countries.  Get with it please DCI!

• Like 3