FLO REFUND

Everyone take a deep breath. A few things to think about:

1. We've only had live streaming at DCI events for a few years now, and this is Flo's first season, but they're a very accomplished company. Let them figure this out, we have a lot of time in the season left to go. 

2. I watched last night using my Apple TV and 98% of the broadcast looked great from my standpoint. Audio was good, video quality was excellent. In live streaming, a lot of the quality issues have less to do with the source signal and more to do with the internet connection you're using and the equipment you're using to watch the broadcast. I will admit my iPhone has been less than idea, but since I purchased my AppleTV the broadcasts have been much better. And if you are connected to your home wifi and multiple people are using the internet, that will definitely affect things. I had to kick my kids off the internet at least twice last night. 

3. I worked on several of the Tom Blair broadcasts as an AP and know Tom (and know he occasionally reads these forums - Hi Tom!) and am sure he would be the first to tell you the Flo folks are doing a great job. 

4. With regards to the equipment - I love that someone characterized the gear as "Walmart level equipment". The fact is, in 2017, you don't need high professional quality gear to produce a high quality online experience. In fact, I've shot several professional videos with nothing more than an iPhone 7. And, there are prosumer cameras and audio equipment available that are smaller and look like "Walmart level equipment" but are actually quite powerful. 

5. Streaming video services, while much more reliable than they were 3 or 4 years ago, still have some hiccups. There are so many factors that go into a broadcast that is doesn't take much to overload a stream. DCI hired these folks because of their experience in the space, let them work out the hiccups. Give it time.

6. I had issues initially logging in last night and got frustrated. Sent an email in to customer service, and they responded in less than 10 minutes. Thats a fantastic customer-care response time, problem fixed, back to the broadcast.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

1. We've only had live streaming at DCI events for a few years now, and this is Flo's first season, but they're a very accomplished company. Let them figure this out, we have a lot of time in the season left to go. 

2. I watched last night using my Apple TV and 98% of the broadcast looked great from my standpoint. Audio was good, video quality was excellent. In live streaming, a lot of the quality issues have less to do with the source signal and more to do with the internet connection you're using and the equipment you're using to watch the broadcast. I will admit my iPhone has been less than idea, but since I purchased my AppleTV the broadcasts have been much better. And if you are connected to your home wifi and multiple people are using the internet, that will definitely affect things. I had to kick my kids off the internet at least twice last night. 

3. I worked on several of the Tom Blair broadcasts as an AP and know Tom (and know he occasionally reads these forums - Hi Tom!) and am sure he would be the first to tell you the Flo folks are doing a great job. 

4. With regards to the equipment - I love that someone characterized the gear as "Walmart level equipment". The fact is, in 2017, you don't need high professional quality gear to produce a high quality online experience. In fact, I've shot several professional videos with nothing more than an iPhone 7. And, there are prosumer cameras and audio equipment available that are smaller and look like "Walmart level equipment" but are actually quite powerful. 

5. Streaming video services, while much more reliable than they were 3 or 4 years ago, still have some hiccups. There are so many factors that go into a broadcast that is doesn't take much to overload a stream. DCI hired these folks because of their experience in the space, let them work out the hiccups. Give it time.

6. I had issues initially logging in last night and got frustrated. Sent an email in to customer service, and they responded in less than 10 minutes. Thats a fantastic customer-care response time, problem fixed, back to the broadcast.

Sounds good and logical, but if I pay for premium service I expect little to zero errors. It doesn't matter if they have a perfect batting average prior to this. The sound issues should have been ironed out before the show. I subscribe to Sirius XM, and cable. When those go out I can actually speak to a human and then in most cases I can listen to something on demand. In flomarching's case I can't speak to human easily and these broadcasts are a one shot deal... no do overs. That's why in this case, no, it's inexcusable.  

• Like 2

Just now, Newseditor44 said:

I'm not sure everyone needs to take a breath.  The frustration is justified, IMO.  People are paying money for this service, often times as the only means to see their kid perform.

It worries me that you say Tom Blair (whose work with DCI is exceptional) would indicate that FloMarching is doing an even passable job.  Maybe you don't need an expensive camera to get quality audio/video, but you do need to be able to point that camera at something interesting when it's happening.

• Like 5

Everyone take a deep breath and allow these guys to fleece you with a bad product. 

No problem. I'm going to take that deep breath now. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

DCI hired these folks because of their experience in the space, let them work out the hiccups. Give it time.

you do realize that the operators forgot to unmute the mics for the first minute and a half of BD's show and that they messed up levels for a large part of SCV's show, right?

this is not a minor oops - this is unprofessional ineptitude -- 

We as consumers need to let flo and DCI know that we are not OK with this downgrade in production

• Like 3

5 hours ago, E3D said:

Everyone take a deep breath and allow these guys to fleece you with a bad product. 

No problem. I'm going to take that deep breath now. 

And suddenly I remembered why I hate dislike tolerate this place so much. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

you do realize that the operators forgot to unmute the mics for the first minute and a half of BD's show and that they messed up levels for a large part of SCV's show, right?

this is not a minor oops - this is unprofessional ineptitude -- 

We as consumers need to let flo and DCI know that we are not OK with this downgrade in production

Let's burn down the headquarters then!! Off with their heads!!!

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

Let's burn down the headquarters then!! Off with their heads!!!

Not far from there maybe I will go knock on the door?

• Like 2