Video and Drum Corps

No, this post is not about what you think it is...

Serious question for a moment - it's been almost 30 years since I marched and was wondering, with all of the technology we have today, do corps use video to help teach and review the shows with the students? Do they ever sit down with the kids and review the performances? Could be an interesting tool... as long as you're not using a FloMarching recording (see what I did there)?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

do corps use video to help teach and review the shows with the students? Do they ever sit down with the kids and review the performances? 

Yes. But is more common for them to have kids review on their own time ... travel, bus, etc. Not burn rehearsal time with regular group video reviewing. 

I saw a pic a few years ago of the Devs debriefing after a show, showing the video on the side of the truck.  So, yes, I think that this happens.

If not, it totally should.

Edited by bicsta
I kant speel
  • Like 1

Heck, when *I* was marching 30 years ago, we'd regularly sit down after rehearsal to watch a VHS recording of our last performance. It was never really done with specific teaching goals in mind, but I know personally it (1) gave me a better sense of what each moment of the show is trying to accomplish both visually and musically, and (2) it allowed me to reflect on my own individual performance; i.e. I could see myself out of a form, for example, in a moment of the show that previously I thought I was doing fine. I can't be alone in how I benefited from video, so I can't imagine some corps wouldn't use today's ease of video technology to similar advantage. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Serious question for a moment - it's been almost 30 years since I marched and was wondering, with all of the technology we have today, do corps use video to help teach and review the shows with the students? Do they ever sit down with the kids and review the performances? Could be an interesting tool... as long as you're not using a FloMarching recording (see what I did there)?

We did this in my high school marching band during competition season before a rehearsal began. Definitely helped us to envision what was going on as an ensemble. Knowing that buses now have movie monitors, perhaps a DVD of the show can be played on a long bus ride to a show or housing site.

• Like 1

I know of multiple corps that do it over preseason having their members look at end-of-weekend runs and look for specific things while they're not together between camps, but I don't know how much it's utilized on tour.

Edited by brassdude6171
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

Long story short, yes, even in the mid-2000s. I imagine that with higher quality video recording so ubitquitous, it's probably used much more

• Like 1

My guess is they push out relevant video of rehearsals and/or performances out to members for them to review individually.