DCI Central Texas, Belton, TX - July 20th

Madison was way better than I expected.  Great Job, and I think they ended the debate on being in the top 12 this year!

• Like 2

This is the first time I've seen Madison. Think I need to see it again.

Not sure what to make of it yet. I appreciate that they "went there" with the costumes. My impression is they didn't go there with the same energy in the show itself. Felt a bit like a typical corps show.

But when you are dressed like that, you sort of need to be that crazy in the performance as well - outside of the controlled norm.

I kept thinking about their fantastic pirate show and how that whole thing just crackled with aggressive energy. It was intoxicating. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

Madison was way better than I expected.  Great Job, and I think they ended the debate on being in the top 12 this year!

I think there are three or four corps who have something to say about that. Remember Madison was pretty solidly in 12th at this time last year. 

38 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I have no clue what it's about. 

Love. Passion. Anger. Swordplay. There are various faceoffs (duels) among different parts of the corps, such as the dueling snare feature. And several duets among horn players, etc. Does it all add up to something larger? That's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

In that sense, it's like just about every other show out there this year. I have no clue what Madison's show is "about," beyond aggressive sounds and movement. Cavies? Fun show; some nice men-men-men references; no narrative line. Bluecoats? About the only thing it is "about" is relentless groove and showmanship. With a name like "enigma," Crossmen's show is specifically about something that defies defintion. BK? Four cool tunes wrapped in a visual device of i/eye/see/hide/self/other/me/you, but no larger message. Colts' "both sides now" is little more than a label and a clue to some of the music selections, but otherwise a stock show, well done. As awesome as it is, Crown's "it is" show seems deliberately a blank thematic slate compared to last year's "relentless." Ouroborous? Not a clue. Great show, though. Phantom has a nice look and excellent music, but just about nada for any kind of message other than "madness." 

Cadets are ramming home a theme. BD is paying homage to 60 years of it's history, which is a lot of DCI history, too. Mandarins seem to carry off an idea from beginning to end. Academy definitely has a story it's trying to tell.

But for most of DCI, I have little idea what most of the corps' shows are "about" this year. It seems to be of themes and labels, not a year of storytelling. Kind of old school, really.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, brassboy said:

I think there are three or four corps who have something to say about that. Remember Madison was pretty solidly in 12th at this time last year. 

Two or three IMO. I can see Mandarins or Colts taking Madison's spot. Maybe Academy too, but their show hasn't been impressing me too much.

• Like 1