DCI Central Texas, Belton, TX - July 20th

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Define BOA show for a person that did not compete in BOA. 

Earnest.

The kids are performing the snot out of it, but it's so, so earnest, right down to the voiceover samples, which sound like what a high school kid thinks professional actors sound like doing Shakespeare.

Awesome performers, but a less than awesome show, imho.

• Like 1

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Define BOA show for a person that did not compete in BOA. 

My guess is a "BOA show" is a show that is simplistic at face value - it's more "hit you over the head with the theme" than anything else. I think a lot of these people that call shows this seem to think that a "real DCI show" is a much more complex, nuanced product than what is seen in BOA.

Tuesday when Crown came out with all the stuff my dad said, "Geez it's like an invasion force."  Yet when they get it in place it becomes subltle. 

18 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This shows you what can happen if you are committed to excellence as an organization and are committed to treating kids with love and respect. Everything I have heard from Boston from the road this season has been glowing. Kudos to all the leaders who have slogged and slugged it out so many years, trying to make finals. Boston is set to be a heavyweight, and I couldn't be more excited for them. That is one hell of a show on every level.

Don't ya just love it!  It's like Christmas morning when you're five years old!  An old sage like me loves being excited about this bold drum corps! 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4

Blue Stars were wonderful! This difference between their show and Boston is construction. Boston keeps things moving. The flow of the show is amazing. Blue Stars are plenty talented and sound great. Their brass is no slacker. Not quite Boston, but it's good. I've never been a fan of shows where a musical theme is used over and over again in a context and style completely different from the original. I almost feel they arranged themselves out of any flow, at least with the music book.  Still, I had fun watching their excellent performers. 

• Like 4

Just now, Cadevilina Crown said:

My guess is a "BOA show" is a show that is simplistic at face value - it's more "hit you over the head with the theme" than anything else. I think a lot of these people that call shows this seem to think that a "real DCI show" is a much more complex, nuanced product than what is seen in BOA.

Because uh the show before it was about burning witches which seems to not be complex. Cadets is about church not very complex. Cavies are about opening a cold one with the boys. Never heard those called BOA which is why I was curious. I mean I marched a blood sweat and tears show on 2005 and nobody got it.