DCI North Texas, Denton, TX - July 20th

3 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Well, I agree that Bloo's show is super entertaining, but I also love SCV's show, and to me it is more entertaining than Bloo's. I've watched SCV on video at least 50 times and I always see something new - there is just so much going on and it has so much depth. To each his own, which is why GE isn't based on being the crowd favorite. The top 4 really have spectacular shows this year.

To me Bloo is too much like "Blast" on the field in my opinion.. I love variety in drum corps.. They have unique style. I get it. I just love the intricacy and complexity of SCV's show. There is something appealing about the SCV's show design. 

So, once again, having never seen anyone live, I really struggle with  the Cadests being dumped on the music scores.  Just not sure that DCI judges want anyone to actually play one piece ( or portions thereof) as written.  Just getting tired of "layering").

Just now, pudding said:

Visually I'll grant you (although barely). Musically I disagree entirely. Bloo's Zappa book alone is more intricate than SCV's entire brass book, and from a holistic perspective Bloo's ensemble demands are greater than SCV's, which are (mostly) just chords and rips interspersed between 5 five million battery breaks. 

No, no, no. Can't agree with you at all. No one's brass book compares with the content in SCV's this year. No ones. All music judges tonight placed them 1st in content and 2nd in achievement, with a huge spread between the 2. That tells us the judges are recognizing the depth of the musically book (saying it has the most content) but that the achievement isn't close. In fact, all 8 judges put SCV 1st in content.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pudding said:

Visually I'll grant you (although barely). Musically I disagree entirely. Bloo's Zappa book alone is more intricate than SCV's entire brass book, and from a holistic perspective Bloo's ensemble demands are greater than SCV's, which are (mostly) just chords and rips interspersed between 5 five million battery breaks. 

Yo which Vanguard were you listening to? 

Edited by CCond
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Alzam81 said:

To me Bloo is too much like "Blast" on the field in my opinion.. I love variety in drum corps.. They have unique style. I get it. I just love the intricacy and complexity of SCV's show. There is something appealing about the SCV's show design. 

Me too. Bluecoats have such a fun so that is so enjoyable to watch. After SCV, it is my 2nd favorite. I just love it. I like BD this year too, and Crown (until the singing starts). SCV's show though - I mean wow. It just just the coolest and so intricate. So much going on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

No, no, no. Can't agree with you at all. No one's brass book compares with the content in SCV's this year. No ones. All music judges tonight placed them 1st in content and 2nd in achievement, with a huge spread between the 2. That tells us the judges are recognizing the depth of the musically book (saying it has the most content) but that the achievement isn't close. In fact, all 8 judges put SCV 1st in content.

Exactly.

Just now, henry7184 said:

Even disregarding this particular show, that claim is patently false; Blue Devils have a superior brass book to both SCV and Bluecoats this year, and I'd wager that Crown does as well. 

There are definitely areas where SCV has more content than Bloo at this point, but I believe that GE1 (music-ish?), Music Analysis, and Percussion are not among them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CCond said:

Yo which Vanguard were you listening to? 

The one he's not fond of

• Like 2

Just now, DAYGO said:

The one he's not fond of

Ah yeah bias and all that