DCI North Texas, Denton, TX - July 20th

2 minutes ago, pudding said:

There are definitely areas where SCV has more content than Bloo at this point, but I believe that GE1 (music-ish?), Music Analysis, and Percussion are not among them.

I'll maybe give you Crown in brass, but not BD. 

No offense, but I'll also take the word of 8 qualified judges over a poster on DCP.

Edited by henry7184

2 minutes ago, CCond said:

Yo which Vanguard were you listening to? 

The one that plays almost exclusively long tone chords (except for their small brass ensemble, which admittedly play very intricate passages) in between approximately five million battery breaks.

And if you try to deny that, then it's you who are biased, in favor of SCV. Believe it or not, it's possible to be a blind supporter just as much as a blind hater.

1 minute ago, pudding said:

The one that plays almost exclusively long tone chords (except for their small brass ensemble, which admittedly play very intricate passages) in between approximately five million battery breaks.

That's what we call, a bias.

Just now, pudding said:

And if you try to deny that, then it's you who are biased, in favor of SCV. Believe it or not, it's possible to be a blind supporter just as much as a blind hater.

Well, considering qualified judges agree with us and not you, I'd say you're biased more than we.

Just now, henry7184 said:

That's what we call, a bias.

Lol. You're just someone who can't hear anything close to criticism of your home team. I'll give you 500 problems I have with any show this year, including Bluecoats. But if you can't watch SCV's show and see that their music book is "SCV's Battery and Friends" then this conversation will never be productive.

Just now, pudding said:

That's simply not the case, friend. There are about three battery breaks, and they are pretty long (but hey if you've got a strength, play to it). The closer has a lot of intricacy in the hornline proper. Double and triple tongue passages in the call and response section with the small ensemble. Not everything is handed off to the small ensemble.

Just now, pudding said:

Lol. You're just someone who can't hear anything close to criticism of your home team. I'll give you 500 problems I have with any show this year, including Bluecoats. But if you can't watch SCV's show and see that their music book is "SCV's Battery and Friends" then this conversation will never be productive.

I won't disagree with you that SCV's show is way too percussion dominated for my taste this year 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I won't disagree with you that SCV's show is way too percussion dominated for my taste this year 

It's called playing to your strengths....smart...

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Paul's writing, but I think he's at his most brilliant when he's writing supporting material (e.g. 2003, 2006, 2008 Phantom, 2013, 2014 SCV). Giving him so many percussion breaks is just showboating when you've got a perfectly talented brass section (not to mention J.D. Shaw).

Edited by pudding
  • Like 1