DCI North Texas, Denton, TX - July 20th

7 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I dunno if it's that for everyone, honestly. I was initially attracted to this activity due to the high level of execution from the top corps. That's what drum corps is to me. I appreciate the lower tier corps for introducing younger members to the activity and grooming them for the future, but if I'm being honest I'm still showing up for the top 8 or so.

You know, the corps that the kids in the lower corps hope to march next year. :12_slight_smile:

I mean of course not everyone is a bandwagon, but withen the past year they have gained a lot of followers. I mean like I said, I love the smaller corps. SoA, OC, SC and even Troopers. But you can't tell me you haven't encountered someone with a Bluecoats shirt on and said "why?" And they had no reason why they liked them.

Drum Corp to me "cymbalizes" (see what I did there) the fact of having a huge amount of band nerds in one place. Because nowadays, no one appreciates music anymore. And watching wonderful music come in different levels and sizes is wonderful to me. Especially the people making the music.

• Like 2

Vanguard was on fire last night.  They have a full show with all the goods.  No doubt in my mind they did beat Bluecoats.  Their whole show was stunning and full of "things" to watch.  Bluecoats (I was on their bandwagon last year!) have the more amazing closer.  The front part of the show seems to be hamstrung by the ramp.  Cool stuff going on and under it - but they don't seem to have the field coverage as a result of working around this structure.  The Zappa is smoking...truly reminiscent of last year and feels as if it could fall right in line as a sequel.  They will be in the top 4 - but to repeat, the front part of the show needs a little more something.  Any thoughts that there is a costume change to come?

Only two corps cranked the volume last night (acoustically speaking) - Blue Knights and Vanguard had the volume.  The rest of the lineup was a notch below volume wise - perhaps the heat?  

Admittedly I am an old guy - but I am SO over the body lean and movement in the brass.  It's almost like the chop and bop arranging is done to insert an opportunity to have the non dancers...dance.  Leave that in the guard please!   Vanguard seemed to do this the least - and their brass playing seemed to have a stronger presence.   That said - I can handle the new world we are in with miced horns and some of the effects that with which corps are experimenting.  I even get into the costuming over uniforms - but all the unnecessary body motion... sigh

Oregon Crusaders got the short end of the judging stick tonight I think....They should have been on the top of their grouping.  

Sad to see Phantom dip into territory previously only reserved for the Madison Scouts - sad to see the traditional power not able to adjust to the new DCI.

BIG show as usual...it may be time to start looking for a bigger venue...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Euphscott said:

Vanguard was on fire last night.  They have a full show with all the goods.  No doubt in my mind they did beat Bluecoats.  Their whole show was stunning and full of "things" to watch.  Bluecoats (I was on their bandwagon last year!) have the more amazing closer.  The front part of the show seems to be hamstrung by the ramp.  Cool stuff going on and under it - but they don't seem to have the field coverage as a result of working around this structure.  The Zappa is smoking...truly reminiscent of last year and feels as if it could fall right in line as a sequel.  They will be in the top 4 - but to repeat, the front part of the show needs a little more something.  Any thoughts that there is a costume change to come?

Only two corps cranked the volume last night (acoustically speaking) - Blue Knights and Vanguard had the volume.  The rest of the lineup was a notch below volume wise - perhaps the heat?  

Admittedly I am an old guy - but I am SO over the body lean and movement in the brass.  It's almost like the chop and bop arranging is done to insert an opportunity to have the non dancers...dance.  Leave that in the guard please!   Vanguard seemed to do this the least - and their brass playing seemed to have a stronger presence.   That said - I can handle the new world we are in with miced horns and some of the effects that with which corps are experimenting.  I even get into the costuming over uniforms - but all the unnecessary body motion... sigh

Oregon Crusaders got the short end of the judging stick tonight I think....They should have been on the top of their grouping.  

Sad to see Phantom dip into territory previously only reserved for the Madison Scouts - sad to see the traditional power not able to adjust to the new DCI.

BIG show as usual...it may be time to start looking for a bigger venue...

I wonder how much more it would cost to have it at Apogee...(assuming Apogee is bigger, anyway).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

I wonder how much more it would cost to have it at Apogee...(assuming Apogee is bigger, anyway).

Well, the difference is at CH Collins you're paying an athletic conplex. At Apogee, your paying the college. And lord know how badly they'd rack up the price for DCI to host it. The DCI admins already hate CH Collins because it has no room for drum majors and pit so by then would have thrown the towel.

I don't think cost will be an issue - the crowd keeps swelling...I suspect ticket sales could cover it.  

Apogee holds 30,000, CH Collins has 12,000.  I suspect that Apogee has a little more seating on home side than visitor where Collins has it split evenly.  Also - suites can be sold at a premium there - not sure about parking situation there...

But it's getting tighter in there and as the night goes on and marching members and family start filing in looking to take seats, it gets cramped!

I mean, I'm all in favor of it moving out of Denton, too (maybe to somewhere in Forth Worth...but that may just be the Fort Worth native in me talking).

For example, Farrington's old, and has a track, but it'd have plenty of seating (fourth largest high school stadium in the state, capacity-wise). Not an unreasonable amount of parking, either, especially if you arranged to shuttle people from the Will Rogers parking lots...and having an arts thing right in the middle of the cultural district would be a rather nice fit...

I may need to ponder this further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Euphscott said:

OC took the entire solo section out of the show and also completely reworked the ending - musically and visually.  No one on DCP even noticed.  (When any of the top 8 do something this drastic it is talked about in a thread for 10 or 20 pages!)  But they came in on top of PC for the first time in awhile so it was an improvement.  Spirit scored .2 higher than OC but at a different show.  OC's immediate problem is their performance slot in San Antonio.  Just awful.  

Cascades have a beautiful show, are working their butts off and seeing tiny score increases.  That is tough.  

It's just REALLY hard to work your way up the food chain.  Mandarins have done it this year though.  So we know that with a proper show design, it is possible.  I really really hope Mandies make finals.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

OC took the entire solo section out of the show and also completely reworked the ending - musically and visually.  No one on DCP even noticed.  

I realize this is not aimed at me - but this was my first read of their show - so it was ALL new to me!  :)

I was a bit perplexed in that the three corps were so tightly bundled scoring wise - I thought there was a good bit more separation there.  But I don't get paid to run around a field with a mic on - so what do I know?

• Like 2

Please move this show to UNT's Apogee!

why? I was late due to accidents/traffic on the highway. I spent over 30 minutes zooming around for a parking spot and eventually got super lucky by spotting an employee from the water park leaving. UNT has more than enough parking for this event.

I'm sure Apogee is more expensive, but this show is ready for it. I was seating in premium seats right on the 50 and had a difficult time hearing the pit clearly because their sound shoots right into the wall.

Further more, Collins stadium requires an ambulance sit right on the track with it engine running the ENTIRE time. I understand they want to be safe, but this is definitely overkill. You can hear the super loud engine growling through every drum corps. 

VIP opportunities. Many shows are now offering VIP box seating with food. Apogee is perfect for this.