DCI North Texas, Denton, TX - July 20th

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Could you clarify? Not sure what you're referring to or saying 

You're usually open to corps trying things that are different from the norm without dismissing it.  I mean, you're all for whatever BD does; so I'm surprised at the amount of dislike you seem to have for SCV's show this year.

It is obvious that their brass plays a bunch, and that all musical aspects are integrated together well.

I dunno, it is just uncharacteristic of you to be so unfond of this year's book from SCV, so I''m trying to figure out what exactly it is about it.

I do NOT see it as a percussion first show at all. If anything, it's all around balanced, and the hornline is just performing amazingly too.

There are some great high school facilities outside of Denton.  Take a look at Allen High School Stadium in Allen, off 75 between Plano and McKinney.  Great facility, ample parking, and easy access.

Just now, diane092 said:

There are some great high school facilities outside of Denton.  Take a look at Allen High School Stadium in Allen, off 75 between Plano and McKinney.  Great facility, ample parking, and easy access.

The list of things on a facilities checklist are:

- Can someone else host it? (High School)

- Is there ample parking?

- Is there an area for the corps to practice?

- Is it in a central location for people to meet?

- Is traffic acceptable?

- is the seating appropriate for the expected clientel? (Basically don't hist at a place like at&t stadium when you only expect 1K people)

- Is it a comfortable envirment for the corps? (Denton isn't because it has no room for the podiums and such)

That's all I can think of right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crown1253 said:

I am a fan of a lot of lower corps,  SoA being my choice.

"Lower corps," you say?  Oh I would love to read your definition of "lower corps."

Just now, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

"Lower corps," you say?  Oh I would love to read your definition of "lower corps."

Lower corps in World Class. I consider Spirit of Atlanta a lower corp.

1 minute ago, Crown1253 said:

Lower corps in World Class. I consider Spirit of Atlanta a lower corp.

I marched when Spirit of Atlanta was among the corps to beat.  I would never call them -- or anyone else -- a "lower corps."  The same goes for the Troopers.  In my day they were consistent DCI finalists.

This, not how they are now, is how I think of corps like Spirit of Atlanta, the Troopers, or even the Madison Scouts who won two DCI Championships.  

Respect the past.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I marched when Spirit of Atlanta was among the corps to beat.  I would never call them -- or anyone else -- a "lower corps."  The same goes for the Troopers.  In my day they were consistent DCI finalists.

This, not how they are now, is how I think of corps like Spirit of Atlanta, the Troopers, or even the Madison Scouts who won two DCI Championships.  

Respect the past.

Calm down man, you act like I am bashing the past. I am talking about the present not the past. So at this point, the Troopers are a lower corp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

You're usually open to corps trying things that are different from the norm without dismissing it.  I mean, you're all for whatever BD does; so I'm surprised at the amount of dislike you seem to have for SCV's show this year.

It is obvious that their brass plays a bunch, and that all musical aspects are integrated together well.

I dunno, it is just uncharacteristic of you to be so unfond of this year's book from SCV, so I''m trying to figure out what exactly it is about it.

I do NOT see it as a percussion first show at all. If anything, it's all around balanced, and the hornline is just performing amazingly too.

I think I explained this before but it's the aggressive nature of the book that's throwing me off. I'm having a hard time latching onto a melody with the show and the hornline itself has a pretty harsh tone that I'm assuming is a result of the aggressive music. When you combine those elements together with a Rennick percussion book, you get a show that sounds a lot like lots of percussion with very little hornline, even if that isn't the case. It's sort of an illusion. And as a brass person, I'm not really enjoying that 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think I explained this before but it's the aggressive nature of the book that's throwing me off. I'm having a hard time latching onto a melody with the show and the hornline itself has a pretty harsh tone that I'm assuming is a result of the aggressive music. When you combine those elements together with a Rennick percussion book, you get a show that sounds a lot like lots of percussion with very little hornline, even if that isn't the case. It's sort of an illusion. And as a brass person, I'm not really enjoying that 

Ok, well we again disagree. I completely disagree that there is lots of percussion with very little hornline.

I think it comes down to which corps you like and which you don't.

I hear Melody, horns, and everything one could want out of SCVs show, but I like SCV. 

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Ok, well we again disagree. I completely disagree that there is lots of percussion with very little hornline.

I think it comes down to which corps you like and which you don't.

I hear Melody, horns, and everything one could want out of SCVs show, but I like SCV. 

The most prominent thing about SCV's show for me is the hornline. In part because some of them are amplified, to be sure.

• Like 1