Some potentially relevant rumblings in Nashville

The MLS has narrowed down their likely expansion options and have included Nashville in those options.

A key aspect of Nashville's bid is to use the old Fairgrounds land to build a new soccer stadium that would in large part be funded as a joint venture with Vanderbilt. IOW, Vandy would play its home games at the new stadium, which is approximately 3.5 miles away. And, one would assume, VU would tear down Vanderbilt stadium.

This is a very controversial topic, for obvious reasons. Most vandy alums and supporters hate the current stadium, because it is so outdated, but also are dead set against moving off campus. Regardless, vandy, which has a track record of not giving two craps what fans and alums think, are going to do it if Nashville is selected.

The potentially huge news for DCI is that we could move the TOS show to the brand new venue, which would almost certainly be a state of the art stadium that is probably smaller than Vanderbilt Stadium, but with much better site lines and acoustics.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The MLS has narrowed down their likely expansion options and have included Nashville in those options. 

So, if built, it would not be like the newer MLS stadiums which only hold around 30 K?

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

So, if built, it would not be like the newer MLS stadiums which only hold around 30 K?

As a joint venture, I would assume the stadium would be as large as vandy would want it to be. Nothing has been stated about the stadium design at all to this point. I would not anticipate it would be half the size of Vanderbilt Stadium, though. My guess is, in the 40,000 seat range.

Also, there would be a ton of parking and rehearsal/lot space over there. There is a developer involved, and the plan would be to make the entire area into a multi use concept. So you would see restaurants, some shopping, etc. 

There is very little developable land left in downtown Nashville now. Vanderbilt, as an urban campus, has almost no expansion options. 

Knowing Vandy as well as I do, I would guess they would tear down Vanderbilt Stadium and do a joint venture project there that would include box seats for baseball (which sits right up against the east seating of the football stadium), restaurants and maybe even another hotel. The current hotel concept that sits just north of the football stadium, right on West End, is a joint venture. Vandy owns the land. 

The current stadium property is a long way from the campus proper. The new dorms are on the exact opposite side of the campus, across four roads. Vandy could build more academic structures there, but I would guess they would keep that space devoted to athletics. Maybe build a new athletics office complex there.

Regardless, I think most of us feel that the MLS will pick Nashville. The success of the Predators has every sports franchise buzzing. Timeline on this, who knows? But, I for one would love to see a TOS show in a brand new, state of the art soccer facility akin to what we see in Europe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

There is very little developable land left in downtown Nashville now. Vanderbilt, as an urban campus, has almost no expansion options. 

Knowing Vandy as well as I do, I would guess they would tear down Vanderbilt Stadium and do a joint venture project there that would include box seats for baseball (which sits right up against the east seating of the football stadium), restaurants and maybe even another hotel. The current hotel concept that sits just north of the football stadium, right on West End, is a joint venture. Vandy owns the land. 

The current stadium property is a long way from the campus proper. The new dorms are on the exact opposite side of the campus, across four roads. Vandy could build more academic structures there, but I would guess they would keep that space devoted to athletics. Maybe build a new athletics office complex there.

Regardless, I think most of us feel that the MLS will pick Nashville. The success of the Predators has every sports franchise buzzing. Timeline on this, who knows? But, I for one would love to see a TOS show in a brand new, state of the art soccer facility akin to what we see in Europe.

When developers get involved it usually gives a whole different meaning to Go Predators!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

As a joint venture, I would assume the stadium would be as large as vandy would want it to be. Nothing has been stated about the stadium design at all to this point. I would not anticipate it would be half the size of Vanderbilt Stadium, though. My guess is, in the 40,000 seat range.

MLS requires team to own its own soccer specific stadium (financial reasons), thats why it failed in April in ST Louis...despite our best efforts to get it to pass. That being said, PPL Prk in Chester and Red Bull Arena in NJ are hosting or have hosted TOC events in the past. Also, new SSS will cost about 150-200MM, will Nashvill finance another publicly funded stadia?

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Subliminal slip of combining TOC with POS (piece of...), or was it on purpose? :lle:

I think you are right on the money with that slip.