Some potentially relevant rumblings in Nashville

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Very true. I was not talking about the like button or tab. I was talking about my jabs about recording shows and publishing them in Asia! LOL. I was waiting for you to slam me with the rule book on that. 

Had to stop. If I had continued doing all that copy and paste in order to just keep slaping ya with facts I would have been in danger of violating Copyright Law!!

Edited by Stu

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The MLS has narrowed down their likely expansion options and have included Nashville in those options.

A key aspect of Nashville's bid is to use the old Fairgrounds land to build a new soccer stadium that would in large part be funded as a joint venture with Vanderbilt. IOW, Vandy would play its home games at the new stadium, which is approximately 3.5 miles away. And, one would assume, VU would tear down Vanderbilt stadium.

This is a very controversial topic, for obvious reasons. Most vandy alums and supporters hate the current stadium, because it is so outdated, but also are dead set against moving off campus. Regardless, vandy, which has a track record of not giving two craps what fans and alums think, are going to do it if Nashville is selected.

The potentially huge news for DCI is that we could move the TOS show to the brand new venue, which would almost certainly be a state of the art stadium that is probably smaller than Vanderbilt Stadium, but with much better site lines and acoustics.

soccer stadiums tend to be natural grass.to some facilities, "band shows" do too much damage

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If you are referring to the push the 'like tab' game, I rarely play that game. It normally has to be a very profound post, like when Jeff Ream, I think, broke the G7 news here on DCP.  Otherwise I find it a humorous popularity contest for those who are into pat each other on the back type of narcissism.

twas me. i'm touched you remembered and that you hit the like button.

usually i only hit it if i spit out whatever beverage I am having while reading a funny one

Edited by Jeff Ream
hit post too soon

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

soccer stadiums tend to be natural grass.to some facilities, "band shows" do too much damage

That would be tough, especially for both a soccer team and an SEC football team that care about the surfaces they play on.

If plans to use the stadium indeed fall through, perhaps we'll see the show move back to MTSU?

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Very true. I was not talking about the like button or tab. I was talking about my jabs about recording shows and publishing them in Asia! LOL. I was waiting for you to slam me with the rule book on that. 

can you pretend I'm in Asia and send them my way?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

MLS requires team to own its own soccer specific stadium (financial reasons), thats why it failed in April in ST Louis...despite our best efforts to get it to pass.

That is apparently not an iron-clad rule (or perhaps it is a new rule), because Atlanta's new MLS team, Atlanta United, will eventually play their home games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which will also be the home of the Atlanta Falcons NFL team. Of course, they have to finish MB Stadium first. Construction delays have forced Atlanta United to play their inaugural season home games so far at Georgia Tech's Grant Field. (Last game at Ga. Tech will be on July 29 - which I guess is one reason that site wasn't considered for the Atlanta regional that same day - and they are scheduled to begin playing in the new MB Stadium on Sept. 10. Atlanta United is owned by Arthur Blank, who also owns the Falcons, but the new stadium is owned by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, the state government agency that also owned the Georgia Dome and operates the adjacent convention center.

5 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

That is apparently not an iron-clad rule (or perhaps it is a new rule), because Atlanta's new MLS team, Atlanta United, will eventually play their home games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which will also be the home of the Atlanta Falcons NFL team. Of course, they have to finish MB Stadium first. Construction delays have forced Atlanta United to play their inaugural season home games so far at Georgia Tech's Grant Field. (Last game at Ga. Tech will be on July 29 - which I guess is one reason that site wasn't considered for the Atlanta regional that same day - and they are scheduled to begin playing in the new MB Stadium on Sept. 10. Atlanta United is owned by Arthur Blank, who also owns the Falcons, but the new stadium is owned by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, the state government agency that also owned the Georgia Dome and operates the adjacent convention center.

The reason why Atlanta can skirt the rule is because Arthur Blank owns United. The season for the SSS is so that team orders keep all of the money... Team, stadium, concessions, etc. Same with Seattle, New England, etc. 

12 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

MLS requires team to own its own soccer specific stadium (financial reasons), thats why it failed in April in ST Louis...despite our best efforts to get it to pass. That being said, PPL Prk in Chester and Red Bull Arena in NJ are hosting or have hosted TOC events in the past. Also, new SSS will cost about 150-200MM, will Nashvill finance another publicly funded stadia?

Nashville is basically providing the land. Probably some tax breaks. I've heard Vandy is committing $100mm, but I've worked around Vandy for over a decade and I find that number preposterous. But, vandy can probably deliver a title sponsor in Ingram Enterprises, as John Ingram is the biggest booster vandy has, his family is on the BOT and has funded half of that campus, I would imagine.

Given that the city would get some access to the facility, as well as Vandy, I see no way in hades this would be a natural grass surface. Vandy has State of the art artificial surfaces on all its sports fields. No way they will fund natural grass.

Vandy is likely looking at this as a real estate investment, not an athletics investment. They wouldn't back a stadium on campus, so why would they do so off campus? Answer: $$$$$.

Edited by MikeRapp