New/Old promo video ad for DCI

Well, DCI needs to do SOMETHING. As someone who does brand strategy for some pretty sizable clients, I find it obscene that DCI cannot create a more powerful brand than what they have now. 

Here you have this amazing performance art with a loyal following, and DCI does nothing to really create a strong and viable brand for the activity. They don’t create demand, they don’t support local shows, and they don’t tap into the fact that, during the summer, people are looking for entertainment options.

I once had a conversation once with DCI’s marketing director, a guy who was obviously thrust into that slot without knowing a ###### thing about marketing. You know what he told me? “Well, DCI’s market is pretty much the parents and families of the kids who are marching.”

Yes. You read that correctly. Ever have a moment where you are so shocked by someone’s manifest stupidity that you don’t know what to say? That was my moment.

How about anybody who loves music? Or anybody who ever was in the band? That’s probably a good fourth of the country’s population. To me, that statement epitomized everything wrong with how DCI does thing. “Oh, we need to do another TV spot this year. Let’s don’t have anything conceptual to create excitement and curiosity. Let’s just have Steve Rondinaro voice the same tired script with new video from last year.”

Seriously. When the National Spelling Bee has a loyal following, it amazes me that DCI has not been able to create a blip on the national radar screen over the past 45 years. Just shaking my head. 

At the moment and for the past several years, DCI is not looking to expand this activity or their brand beyond the market it already serves, and the customer is NOT the average person looking for entertainment options on a summer night. The customer is the kid marching in the high school band. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is. Considering that's all these corps directors know, and they're the ones running DCI, it's not surprising.