The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

In looking at the "Rankings", Legends has a good chance of making WC Semis this year if they can complete the tour (ranked at 25th).  They are currently in 4th in OC rankings.

I saw them in Knoxville and they performed an amazing show.

Edited by CrownBariDad

Let's remember what DCI asks of corps like Legends who have their eyes on World Class.  They have to demonstrate that they can handle a national WC-style tour year after year, and try to win OC against the BD and SCV organizations who have pretty much unlimited resources.  These big OC face all of the same financial pressures as WC corps but don't get the income through corporate sponsorships, percentage of gate, etc.  The crucible of the WC evaluation puts these high performing OC corps at tremendous risk.  I watched this from inside the Genesis organization the last few years.  Amazing that any corps could ever survive this.

If moving to WC was about competitive success, Legends would have been there years ago. They've been beating WC corps and making top 25 for years now.  And their financial troubles would have been lessened....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stu said:

If this is not a hoax, according to what was just tearfully presented, this was not an unexpected emergency on their part. It follows the exact same path of Revolution, Memphis/Forte, recent VK, ad infinitum;. They all placed their performers and staff out on the road knowing full well they did not have funds to begin with. They all hoped funding would materialize; and now, again if this is not a hoax, this corps is apparently seeking $100,000 in less than 24 hours. When will people learn that running a DCI corps is a 'business' that facilitates a performance organization. If the youth are in dire trouble stuck out on the road without food and shelter, I am willing to help get them home safely. However, I will not financially support an administration that would follow the same poor planning path of Revolution and the recent VK. And for those about to flame me please notice that I do indeed want to make sure the youth are safe.

I'm going to tag along with Stu on this one. 

Also, if this is true, Legends first needs to take this up with DCI. I believe there are rules about taking kids on the road and not having the funds to take care of them properly and get them back home safely.  For whatever reasons that this tragic situation happened perhaps the best thing is for the corps to turn around and go home (or stay home if they are already there).  No money, no tour.  It's as simple as that.  It's unfair for a corps to complete half a season (or more) and then expect the fans to kick in the remainder of the money in an emergency.  If this keeps happening it encourages bad financial practices.  I realize this may not have been their fault and likely was an unforeseen series of expenditures that have crippled the corps.

If it is a true emergency and was not the fault of corps management, then I still think going home is the best move.  Your corps needs to reconfigure fundraising efforts.  Your corps needs to become financially solvent.  Competing should be the last thing on their minds.  I will weigh in more on this topic once I know more facts.  

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Let's remember what DCI asks of corps like Legends who have their eyes on World Class.  They have to demonstrate that they can handle a national WC-style tour year after year, and try to win OC against the BD and SCV organizations who have pretty much unlimited resources.  These big OC face all of the same financial pressures as WC corps but don't get the income through corporate sponsorships, percentage of gate, etc.  The crucible of the WC evaluation puts these high performing OC corps at tremendous risk.  I watched this from inside the Genesis organization the last few years.  Amazing that any corps could ever survive this.

If moving to WC was about competitive success, Legends would have been there years ago. They've been beating WC corps and making top 25 for years now.  And their financial troubles would have been lessened....

Knowing people that are in leadership positions in both the Blue Devils and Vanguard organisations, I can absolutely assure you that they do NOT have unlimited resources.. anything but. What the DO have is competent, BUSINESS MINDED managers that are able to make business minded decisions for the organisations involved. There's a reason why their WC corps stay out west as long as they do... it's to help lower costs to the organisation as a whole to allow the OC to go to Indianapolis. Also there are really smart sponsorships and partnerships etc.. but they do not have magic money trees growing behind the corps halls. It's no coincidence that they have 110 years of combined existence behind these two organisations. 

I genuinely hope that Legends can get through this and see out the season and I genuinely hope that IF they do, that lessons are learned and quickly.

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Knowing people that are in leadership positions in both the Blue Devils and Vanguard organisations, I can absolutely assure you that they do NOT have unlimited resources.. anything but. What the DO have is competent, BUSINESS MINDED managers that are able to make business minded decisions for the organisations involved. There's a reason why their WC corps stay out west as long as they do... it's to help lower costs to the organisation as a whole to allow the OC to go to Indianapolis. Also there are really smart sponsorships and partnerships etc.. but they do not have magic money trees growing behind the corps halls. It's no coincidence that they have 110 years of combined existence behind these two organisations. 

I genuinely hope that (corps name of otherwise perfectly happy and healthy organisation removed) can get through this and see out the season and I genuinely hope that IF they do, that lessons are learned and quickly.

You mean Legends...

And yes, ditto.  So many orgs, IMO, miss the key factors that create success.

Edited by Cainan

WHOOPS!

(Fixed)

16 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I'm going to tag along with Stu on this one. 

Also, if this is true, Legends first needs to take this up with DCI. There are rules about taking kids on the road and not having the funds to take care of them properly and get them back home safely. DCI may allow the emergency fundraising with fans, and DCI themselves may use their emergency funds to help; but chances are very real that this corps will be put on suspension for next season.  Very similar to what happened with Capital Regiment where DCI had to fire the staff and admin team and then pay for the last week or tour and get the kids home safely (DCI called in Fred Morris, who is now leading the Troopers so soundly).  The same thing happened to Troopers (before Fred Morris took over) where they were suspended for an entire year of DCI competition. Now Capital Regiment never made it back.  Troopers did because Fred took over.

Let's be clear, this is not the old DCI.  It is a crime in my book to leave home with kids/youth and not have the money to take care of them, feed them, house them, and get them down the road and back. For whatever reasons that this tragic situation happened perhaps the best thing is for the corps to turn around and go home. I believe DCI may enforce that option.  No money, no tour.  It's as simple as that.  It's unfair for corps to complete half a season (or more) and then expect the fans to kick in the remainder of the money in an emergency.  If this keeps happening it encourages bad financial practices. 

And if it is a true emergency and was not the fault of corps management, then I still think going home is the best move.  Your corps needs to reconfigure fundraising efforts.  Your corps needs to become financially solvent.  Competing should be the last thing on their minds.  I will weigh in more on this topic once I know more facts.  

Exactly.  It might be served best or more prudent to go home early.  What is going to happen if another short-fall occurs? They still have 10 more performances left on their schedule. If they are having this much difficulty now...I can only imagine that this might get worse...it is not magically going to get any better...You can't roll the dice and hope for the best...you are responsible for the welfare and safety of these kids...I really feel bad for all involved, but honestly I think jwillis35 is right...Go home now while you still can...regroup...take a season off and come back when you are in a better position financially to do so...it hurts me to say this...but perhaps it is all for the best...In the meantime I think the donation effort should continue...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cainan said:

I genuinely hope that Genesis can get through this and see out the season and I genuinely hope that IF they do, that lessons are learned and quickly.

Good note, certainly wasn't trying to imply that things are "easy" for BDB or SCVC, just that's the transition from OC to WC is a very dangerous time for these organizations.

FYI - Genesis is unaffected in all of this.  The $$$ plea went out from Legends.  Genesis is in the black...

22 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Your last paragraph doesn't make sense to me.  Would you please restate it to be clearer?

Thanks