The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Fair, but Legends has raised more than $12,000 since this DCP thread was posted, and some of that is definitely because of this thread.

Sure, "some" because some posters have stated they've made donations.  In that regard you are correct.

But, again without knowing details, your contention needs to be limited, doesn't it?

Edited by garfield

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

All this speculation is the kind of "piling on" that doesn't help anything and only spreads rumors.  It's also one of the reasons why some directors think that DCP is a bunch of know-it-all-do-nothings who have lots of scorn and myriad solutions for those who are actually out there doing it.

Jeesh, I wish that'd change...

Speculation in of itself is not always bad.  Speculation with no basis of information is a bad idea.  However, speculation based on incoming info can turn out to be correct and helpful (see the G7 issue).  And speculation based on known current info placed out for public consumption by the primary party, combined with past history of other corps who met financial demise which is consist with known current info, is part of the process in sorting out the truth.  Sort of like if it waddles like a duck, quacks likes a duck, looks like a duck, that we can speculate it is Garfield here on DCP (ok, had to lighten things up).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spandy said:

It, among other things, is listed on the campaign website:

Ahh, yes.  I stand corrected.  I missed that number.

And this issue is of particular interest because it represents such a huge number IN ADDITION to their planned expenditures for housing.

On this issue, Stu MIGHT be closer to the truth (even though we don't know the specifics, and housing is the most notorious of the problem issues in the activity).

Edited by garfield

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

OK, now I can agree with you.

I won't make a contention and I'll not take a position based on such speculation, but your opinion is certainly valid and yours.

Just don't make your opinion irrefutable facts, 'cause they ain't

Never claimed that my analysis and conclusions were facts; you should know me better than that by now!!!!

Well, right now I just hope they are home, or near home, and make a solid decision based on the safety and well being of the MM's as to going back out for the rest of the tour.  I would not want the MM's to not finish the season, but it would be a much more serious issue of they go out and end up in a "Teal Sound" situation.  Given how public the issue is now, I would bet they stay home unless they have a very solid financial position, including cash-on-hand, to justify continuing.

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Ahh, yes.  I stand corrected.  I missed that number.

And this issue is of particular interest because it represents such a huge number IN ADDITION to their planned expenditures for house.

On this issue, Stu MIGHT be closer to the truth (even though we don't know the specifics, and housing is the most notorious of the problem issues in the activity).

Ok, let's say they did not know 'exactly' what housing costs would entail.  But by just looking at what has happened to other corps over the past number of years (lost housing while out on the road, announcer pleas at shows for corps because they lost housing, getting to a site and having the costs jacked up, etc...) they should have known in advance how to plan, and pay, for various contingencies.

I've watched the video twice, and judging from some comments, some have watched it more than twice. This is not a professional video, and while the message is heartfelt, it may be too long and rambles more than a bit which is leading to a great deal of chatter here which is speculation at best. While having a business model for a non profit is always the best way, even with the best business plans, there are unexpected challenges. I know of a non profit medical clinic which served the poor had its line of credit revoked due to changes in insurance policies (pre Obama Care). The bank feared they would not be repaid. The organization survived, but barely. Smaller Catholic and private schools have been financially solvent at the beginning of a school year but something such as a boiler malfunction and students deciding not  to return can change everything. With drum corps, how many over the years have been promised huge donations that at the last minute are cancelled?  I know from experience that these kind of things can happen, and the pain, sleepless nights, etc. are real. Remember too, armchair designing or judging is very different than armchair directing a corps. As of now, they are 29% toward the goal. I hope it happens for them and I'm sure there will be lessons learned.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

If Genesis can't make the pie bigger, why should the WC corps "let them in"?

So this is the central point.  How does a nationally touring OC corps make this argument?  Obviously it can be done, as Genesis just did with the BoD.  But in the years where a corps like Legends (or insert Musuc City, etc in a few years) is on the precipice between OC and WC,  it is a precarious position for these OC corps tour nationally with 150 kids, without the ability to benefit from the gate fees, sponsorships and other financial perks that WC corps get.

My only point is that it would be nice for Legends, and others, to share in some of financial benefits afforded to the WC corps whom they beat soundly every year.

I'm out...

Edited by WaxDCIFan
Typos as always
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

Fair,

but Legends has raised more than $12,000 since this DCP thread was posted, and some of that is definitely because of this thread.

Sure, "some" because some posters have stated they've made donations.  In that regard you are correct.

But, again without knowing details, your contention needs to be limited, doesn't it?

Yes. That's what the word "some" does. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'm glad to see that in the 25 minutes since I posted that, their total has gone up by another $2,500.

They need to better that pace if they're going to hit their goal, though. So I encourage everyone who hasn't already done so to share their message with friends who like drum corps.

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

I, for one, am willing to help parents in need of getting their kids out of that immediate danger into their arms of safety.  But I will not donate $100 to help bail out a corps that is pleading for $100,000 in 24 hours unless I know the details are in fact due to an immediate catastrophic event and not a situation of horrible management.