The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

And at that point, where massive debt was there in June, the decision should;d have been, 'Sorry kiddos, you will hate me for this, but for your own safety and welfare we cannot afford the risk of going on tour'.

Again you have no proof that they didn't have the funds to safely deliver the kids a first-half of the season.

Just now, WaxDCIFan said:

I've spent $50 or $100 on stupider things than saving kids dreams.  

I wish I could take back the $50 I spent on Flo Marching and give it to Legends.  Maybe this can all be blamed on Flo somehow!  But maybe that belongs on a different thread...

So by this you mean that would rather support what appears to be at grossly irresponsible and poorly managed  non-profit. Ok then.

Just now, Stu said:

So by this you mean that would rather support what appears to be at grossly irresponsible and poorly managed  non-profit. Ok then.

Not taking the bait...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The thing is it never even cut it back in the day.  There were thousands of corps going in and out of existence every week. Go to the corpsreps website, click on corps names, and see just how many of these thousands of junior corps tried it the duct-tape way.

Please stop with the hyperbole. Thousands of corps every week?

You do bring up salient points but I feel you undermine your message with the excessive hyperbole. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

(Or, in the case of corps that Stu manages, they accumulate all those funds a year in advance so that the tour is funded even if donations stop completely.)

Ka-ching; wisdom abounds again.  Or, if funds are not at least enough in June to secure the welfare of the youth while out on the road then cancel the dad-gum tour.

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Eleran's post is great. But it doesn't necessarily show what you describe. Doesn't it seem like they had a fundraising plan? That's what campaigns are. They had a fairly ambitious season and a campaign to pay for it. But they had a fallback plan if those campaigns didn't work: after they complete their southern tour, if they haven't raised the $75,000, they'd have to announce an emergency fund drive, and either drastically pull back from or cancel the rest of their season if that also doesn't get a response.

And if the plan can only raise 10% of the needed goals by June (leaving 90%  'required' to be secured while out on tour) the smart, intelligent, prudent, wise, decision is to not go on the dad-burn tour!!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:
9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

(Or, in the case of corps that Stu manages, they accumulate all those funds a year in advance so that the tour is funded even if donations stop completely.)

Ka-ching; wisdom abounds again.  Or, if funds are not at least enough in June to secure the welfare of the youth while out on the road then cancel the dad-gum tour.

In other words, Stu's corps pretty much will never see the field as their tour will be cancelled every year. Best case scenario they get one short tour in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Corps seem to attract more donations when they are most active (like right now).  Unfortunately, that means they attract the least donations in the fall/winter, when plans for next season are being made.  Forces corps to forecast the charitable component of the budget based on past data.  (Or, in the case of corps that [exist only in the imagination], they accumulate all those funds a year in advance so that the tour is funded even if donations stop completely.)

This is a good point.

Still, I have to admit that it does seem like Legends overextended.

Repeatedly in 2013-2016, Boston Crusaders insiders kept saying on these forums that BAC, even as their placements slipped, was slowly developing a firm financial footing that would enable them to make some big improvements later. I can't be the only person here who was skeptical of those claims.

And then this year they attracted a raft of high-end designers and instructors from top corps.

Legends needs to figure out how to do that, and they need to figure it out fast. It probably means slipping competitively for a few years, saving up their funds for later.

But that will probably never happen if they can't get some help now.

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Again you have no proof that they didn't have the funds to safely deliver the kids a first-half of the season.

The promise to the kids was not a truncated tour, the promise was a full tour to Finals; this is the same thing that caused the demise of the recent VK; if they knew they could not fulfill that promise they should have stayed home.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

And if the plan can only raise 10% of the needed goals by June (leaving 90%  'required' to be secured while out on tour) the smart, intelligent, prudent, wise, decision is to not go on the dad-burn tour!!

Does Legends really have an annual budget of only $111,000?

• Like 1