The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

And they've broken $70K!

If donors keep this up, they'll beat the clock with plenty of time to spare.

• Like 1

Whoo-Hoo!  $70,125 and counting.  We can do this!  Who better than the Drum Corps Community to go all in for our activity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That was awesome news, but it will still be down to the wire, I think. They need to raise a bit more than $4,500 an hour from now until 11.

Maybe they should incentivize the final push. At our annual fundraising gala, besides the income from sponsors and ticket purchasers (for dinner, a short show, and dancing), as well as both a silent and live auction of various pricey items, we do a "fund-a-need" auction, in which we ask guests to raise their numbered paddles at different levels to support one of our programs. Usually we know from a conversation in advance that at least one person is going to give, say, $15,000, so we start just above that: "Who will give $20,000? [maybe someone does, maybe no one does] ... Who will give $15,000? [that pre-arranged person, maybe another] ... Who will give $10,000? [two or three people] ... Who will give $5,000 [seven or eight people] ... Who will give $2,500 [a dozen or more]" and so on. Sometimes we incentivize a particular level: "The last person to give at $1,000 will receive a $250 gift certificate to company X". Also, sometimes a sponsor will agree to match all donations at a particular level.

I love this crap.

Actually doing it, however, blech...

A necessary evil that can be made less painful by creative manipulation and tom-foolery.  People love to play along with a good gag...

Brilliant, IMO.

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

BTW 

They are already at $69,500

We can do this!!

https://www.classy.org/campaign/legendsnow/c138390

Just need another 300 donations at $100 or 600 at $500 or 30 at $1K

Over $70K

• Like 1

Alice Seeger donated $100.00

My son, Justin Seeger, was in Glassmen when they folded. It was heartbreaking and I would hate to see that happen to Legends. Good luck!

8 minutes ago

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

I love this crap.

Actually doing it, however, blech...

A necessary evil that can be made less painful by creative manipulation and tom-foolery.  People love to play along with a good gag...

Brilliant, IMO.

As any fundraising event-planner can tell you, it's all about making the guests feel happy. Alcohol often helps.

(And I agree entirely about it being unpleasant to actually do. Not my thing at all. If I were in Sodawalla's shoes yesterday, I'd have been very strongly inclined to just give up rather than to bare my soul to the world.)

Serious question: What do you tell all the former youth who were in Teal, Revo, Glassmen, Lone Star, etc who were also in dire straights like this and the response on DCP and other online sites for them was opposite of the phenomenon currently at hand?

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Hello, Grandpa?..."

Lol

"Thanks for saving the day and donating $20k, Grandpa!"

" ... Who is this???"

:8_laughing:

Random thought in passing - did they say they had 147 members?  Would it be too late in the game to see if they could find three additional members to work into the show and give them reduced tour rates?  Every little bit helps, and I can't imagine it would cost much more to accommodate three extra kids (assuming food is the only additional expense they'd need to incur).  I imagine that would be rather difficult with this news, but something I was thinking about...

Just now, Stu said:

Serious question: What do you tell all the former youth who were in Teal, Revo, Glassmen, Lone Star, etc who were also in dire straights like this and the response on DCP and other online sites for them was opposite of the phenomenon currently at hand?

I think lots of people here at the time were saying: "How can we help?"

I already noted when two corps, Glassmen and Bushwackers, had appeals posted here, I donated to both. One worked out, the other didn't.

• Like 1