The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

6 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

You are correct.   I looked at the schedule incorrectly.  They are at Metamora, IL tonight.    

Fixed it!

Still, they're on tour. 147 members that will be touched in so many ways by the community's support.

Almost $88,000.   $12,000 to go with 41 minutes left.

https://www.classy.org/campaign/legendsnow/c138390

Nope, they are in Oxford, OH today. Next Friday is Metamora, IL. 

• Like 2

Just now, DAvery said:

Nope, they are in Oxford, OH today. Next Friday is Metamora, IL. 

OMG - I stand corrected again.   I'm a week ahead of mysel in looking at the schedule.   Oh, well.  They are somewhere in these United States.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  :)

Thanks for correcting me!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fangirl71 said:

I have been a fan of dcp for quite some time. I don't post a lot but I follow many of you and respect all of your opinions and love to be part of this community that shares my passion for Drum Corps. Some of the comments just make me sad. Stu, your take on this whole thing is beyond cynicatl. These eare still people's lives. If you have such an issue with him call his cell phone. Don't impune his character just because you assume the facts are incorrect.  From what I've read on many different places he's also the Chairman of the Open Class corps and I'm sure it took him quite a bit to send that message. If you want to believe the worst go ahead - part of what I like about this activity is it brings out the best in people so I will continue to honor that.  

I respect your opinion, and do understand your passion.  My concern is really for the youth who place their trust in the adults, not the adults.  And to show this, If you would be so kind, what I ask of you is to look up the following corps.  There are hundreds more, but these are the corps in which I personally know people who were involved, many as youth at the time.  it may, or may not, put a better light on my perspective.

Teal Sound, Revolution, Memphis Sound/Forte, Lone Star, Velvet Knights-post Y2K, Glassmen, Magic, Delta Brigade, and Capital Regiment. 

Edited by Stu

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Here are the direct quotes, in order that they appear in the video, in which I based my conclusions, and please read through all of them:

“I am in desperate need of your help.” (ok, desperate; so how did that desperation materialize?)

“I have had some pretty serious setbacks this year with trying to raise enough funds to make it all work”. (the setbacks were in raising the funds throughout the year, but let's see if the problems were one of an immediate emergency and were the result of immediate exogenous events that all occurred coincidentally ).

“”Try to make the goal of $100,000 in the next 24 hours.” (Either a traumatic immediate occurrence has just occurred, or he has known this was coming for quite a while; let's continue)

“We have had to endure getting some new trailers and replace appliances on our food truck.” (did this occur as emergency situations out on tour or did they replace these prior to the tour season?; let's continue).

“My car is no longer on the road while I try and make a repair happen.” (ok, now this event may be an unexpected event, but we need more info).

“And over the course of the season we have been starting behind the eight ball to make it all work for the high level of growth.” (oops, first actual indication that they were trying to maintain the growth, and this has been brewing well beforehand, and not an immediate emergency)

“Maybe you can contribute to the campaigns that have been live the past month.” (oops again, an admission that this has been going on since before the start of the tour)

“The alternative is to stop it all, which I know is not an option.” (big oops, he knew they were in dire straits over a month ago; and stopping or delaying tour by him because they were in the red was not an option!)

“I believe heavily in what this activity does for the youth.” along with a number of emotional appeals that it are all based on the phrase, 'the experience for the kids' (while we all believe in what this activity is for, this is yet another very nice guy making the claim for why he allowed this financial crissis to happen: that it was for the kids; which is the same phrase used by all corps directors in the past who had also placed their corps into the same financial trouble)

“I don’t let people know how bad it really is.” (Oh My!!!  This is one of the best kicker statements that lead me to my conclusion)

“So thank you for taking the time to listen to my emotions.” (I get the emotions, I am human and I have them also, but a business is not ran on emotions; and this situation is an example as to why)

“So a heartfelt message through this cash flow crisis.” (Ding, Ding, Ding, the crisis is not an immediate emergency trailer, appliance breakdown issue; it is an Ongoing Cash Flow issue; that according to his previous statements has been an ongoing problem before they even hit the road at the start of the season!!!!).

Thus the reasons I came to my conclusions.

and we all know the usual outcome when you assume.

donated. Hoping it's mostly unexpected that something like the home show could have otherwise fixed. If there's more to the story, I hope the management is wise enough to do some serious re-thinking over the winter

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

I respect your opinion, and do understand your passion.  My concern is really for the youth who place their trust in the adults, not the adults.  And to show this, If you would be so kind, what I ask of you is to look up the following corps.  There are hundreds more, but these are the corps in which I personally know people who were involved, many as youth at the time.  it may, or may not, put a better light on my perspective.

Teal Sound, Revolution, Memphis Sound/Forte, Lone Star, Velvet Knights-post Y2K, Glassmen, Magic, Delta Brigade, and Capital Regiment. 

If you supported the kids, you would donate so they could finish the god #### tour they paid for.

23 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I know this is the WC forum but just heard about this, but these guys need our help.  From what is in this video/what I've heard through some other channels they had a bunch of unexpected expenses and crap go down at once and it sounds like they are in serious financial distress right now.   I have adored the Legends the last few years.  It would absolutely kill me if they would fold or something would happen to them. I'm gonna give what I can, which isn't much but if a bunch of other people do the same it can go a really long way.  This kills me.  

Hats off to DrumManTx who took the time to start this discussion thread.   I have no doubt that this posting was a catalyst in helping to raise more than $90,000 in 24 hours in response to the Legends' call for help.

For all the angst that DCP sometimes gets, may this serve as an example of how a community can come together to help someone, or something, in need.

For all that have given, I am proud to be among you.  For those that have reached out to friends in social media, great.  Don't stop as the drive is still a little less than $10k short.  

But, as a fan and someone who felt very touched by this ask, I am happy to have watched the progress and outpouring of support for drum corps, and most importanltly, the current and FUTURE marching members of the Legends.  

As for the future, much will need to be done.  But without today, there would be no tomorrow.

Congrats, DCP community!  Thank you DrumManTx - I will forever "like" every one of your posts if I get the chance.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 5

Just now, George Dixon said:

Amazing 

$90,481 $100,000

This was legitimately shocking.

Glassmen Alumni Association donated $2,000.00

We understand the struggle, and we are here to support you. We are all family in this crazy, drum corps world!

2 minutes ago

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

If you supported the kids, you would donate so they could finish the god #### tour they paid for.

Stu has a consistent argument, which is that by virtue of making this emergency request, Legends' management has already demonstrated a callousness toward the well-being of its members.

22 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Hats off to DrumManTx who took the time to start this discussion thread.   I have no doubt that this posting was a catalyst in helping to raise more than $90,000 in 24 hours in response to the Legends' call for help.

For all the angst that DCP sometimes gets, may this serve as an example of how a community can come together to help someone, or something, in need.

For all that have given, I am proud to be among you.  For those that have reached out to friends in social media, great.  Don't stop as the drive is still a little less than $10k short.  

But, as a fan and someone who felt very touched by this ask, I am happy to have watched the progress and outpouring of support for drum corps, and most importanltly, the current and FUTURE marching members of the Legends.  

As for the future, much will need to be done.  But without today, there would be no tomorrow.

Congrats, DCP community!  Thank you DrumManTx - I will forever "like" every one of your posts if I get the chance.

I don't deserve that.  I posted a thread and donated a measly 25$.  

I've just really loved this corps the last two years.  They've improved so much so fast.  That might have caught up to them and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope if this gets them through the season they do everything within their power to make sure it never gets to this point again.  

Some pretty passionate and lovingly harsh discussion that I think was super healthy.  Everyone wants the same thing.  The members to not be at risk of something traumatic and heartbreaking happening to them and it destroying the corps in the process.  I hope this doesn't take the wind out of the kids sails if they finish the season, I love the show and teaching that is going on, administrative/business individuals maybe/maybe not be ######. 

There need to be some consequences for it getting to this point but letting this organization die on the road was not the answer.   The way the activity responded is incredibly heartwarming and speaks to the kind of selflessness this activity fosters.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 7