The Legends REALLY Need Our Help!!!

1 minute ago, JKT90 said:

I believe I get where Stu is coming from, and not that he needs me to defend him...it is looking at this situation through a different lens. Why a plea for $100k in 24 hours? Did no one see this coming? If not, Why? That is poor management plain and simple and it is grossly irresponsible. Now, given, we do not know the details and are forced to assume...and given how many corps have folded due to poor management, bridging the assumption that Legends caused this issue by poor management is not a hard one to make, there are plenty of past examples to draw from...so, if that is true, then this is not a long term solution and a simple band-aid/temp fix if said management practices continue. That is the larger question that I believe Stu is asking. Issues with equipment should be factored in and depreciated as each year passes, knowing repairs/replacements are coming. 

I know of a corps a few years ago that had a large ask of close to $100k and it was needed in like a week...and it was because of poor management. Sometimes the hard questions need to be asked, and many times the answers are not pretty. On the flip side, I also know of a corps whose bus company changed the terms of the deal mid-season and demanded full payment or they were recalling the buses, and would have left the corps stranded in TX. Now, that is a legitimate unforeseen hardship and nothing to do with management of the corps. Luckily, things were handled and they marched on Saturday night in Indy, and the members never really knew anything was up. 

Now with that said, I hope Legends exceed their goal, I hope their management of how the organization is run is on solid footing, and I hope they continue their mission for years to come. But...if someone is asking some hard questions, I would not assume that person wants said corps to fail, rather get it together, because $100k in a day is quite a large ask and almost unbelievable the situation occurred to begin with. But it did...the broader question is Why. 

Let's hope $110k is achieved...that would be remarkable. It already is as it stands now...

Sorry, was that in response to me?  I was just commenting on the fact that I thought (incorrectly) N.E. Brigand was using a Joni Mitchell lyric.

Just now, Musicman1084 said:

Sorry, was that in response to me?  I was just commenting on the fact that I thought (incorrectly) N.E. Brigand was using a Joni Mitchell lyric.

Not really...more in response to Stu bashing. And I am ot defending, just offering another perspective from where I think he is coming from. 

22 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I've read more than a few references to the Glassmen - a corps many of us will always remember fondly.  Legends can be saved.  Glassmen, unfortunately, could not be.  They were well past the point of no return by the time anyone could really help stop their demise.  

I am inspired by the drum corps spirit by this drive.  I gave before and, feeling the spirit, I just gave again.    What the heck, I can live without a few less lunches next week.   Giving to help save this corps makes me feel better than any crappy, fast-food lunch can ever make me feel!

Go LEGENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.classy.org/campaign/legendsnow/c138390

Your gift to LegendsNOW will make a difference to the youth through the experiences we provide through music and performance.

Our mission is to develop and enrich lives of youth through performing arts.  Your gift continues to make all that we do at Legends possible.

b17b4392-55e6-11e7-962e-06bc647b1d52.png

Ibe Sodawalla
Executive Director/CEO
Founder

Possible small victory in the near future for the Glassmen.  Something is being brought up at the GAA BoD meeting.  A small group with the name is better than no group.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

Et tu, Musicman?

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And surpassed it. At 5 p.m. (EDT), they were pretty much right at $74K. I believe the campaign started last night at 11, which means they need to raise another $26K in 6 hours, or $4,333 per hour. Still a formidable challenge. Let's hope the enthusiasm doesn't wane.

Since setting and meeting benchmarks is just what Legends needs to do to avoid finding themselves in this position ever again (because they'll never get this kind of support a second time), we may as well note where they need to be for the rest of the evening (all times are Eastern):

6 p.m. -- $78,333

7 p.m. -- $82,666

8 p.m. -- $86,999

9 p.m. -- $91,333

10 p.m. -- $95,667

11 p.m. -- $100,000

(Right now they're at $75,649, which is about $2,500 behind.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm curious from those promoting bailing out the corps...

Aren't you just enabling bad management by doing so?

Though I am not promoting either extreme, allow me to respond.

a.  A "bailout", as I understand it, is when an organization abdicates responsibility, and a single intervening entity (like a government agency) ensures that the entire amount necessary to affect a rescue is paid out, using funds that were often not obtained through voluntary contribution (i.e.taxes) and not necessarily originally intended for that purpose.  This situation is different in several ways.  Voluntary donations are being accepted from individuals.  A goal has been set, but it may or may not be reached.  And the corps will still face their responsibilities tomorrow, for better or worse.

Nevertheless, in the spirit of your question... all corps, and DCI itself, rely on charitable giving for an indispensable portion of their budgets.  In other words, the entire drum corps operating model is in a perpetual "bailout" mode.

b.  I cannot say what kind of management donors are enabling in this instance.  Back in the day, a corps bearing your screen name issued pleas for donations with similar desperation on an annual basis.  The management behind those campaigns is still in place, and has one of the most enviable records of advancement, competitive success, organizational longevity, and mission achievement in the history of the drum corps activity.  Judging Legends management based solely on the information presented today may be no more accurate than judging the Cadets management based on the tone of one of their 1980s fundraising solicitations.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

At 5 p.m. (EDT), they were pretty much right at $74,000. I believe the campaign started at 11 p.m., which means they need to raise another $26K in six hours.

Since setting and meeting benchmarks is just what Legends needs to do to avoid finding themselves in this position ever again (because they'll never get this kind of support a second time), we may as well note where they need to be for the rest of the evening (all times are Eastern):

6 p.m. -- $78,333

7 p.m. -- $82,666

8 p.m. -- $86,999

9 p.m. -- $91,333

10 p.m. -- $95,667

11 p.m. -- $100,000

Actuals vs. Budget:

6 p.m. -- $76,420 (-$1,913)

33 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

I believe I get where Stu is coming from, and not that he needs me to defend him...it is looking at this situation through a different lens. Why a plea for $100k in 24 hours? Did no one see this coming? If not, Why? That is poor management plain and simple and it is grossly irresponsible. Now, given, we do not know the details and are forced to assume...and given how many corps have folded due to poor management, bridging the assumption that Legends caused this issue by poor management is not a hard one to make, there are plenty of past examples to draw from...so, if that is true, then this is not a long term solution and a simple band-aid/temp fix if said management practices continue. That is the larger question that I believe Stu is asking. Issues with equipment should be factored in and depreciated as each year passes, knowing repairs/replacements are coming. And yes, sometimes more hits you at once that anticipated...but the question still has to be asked. 

I know of a corps a few years ago that had a large ask of close to $100k and it was needed in like a week...and it was because of poor management. Sometimes the hard questions need to be asked, and many times the answers are not pretty. On the flip side, I also know of a corps whose bus company changed the terms of the deal mid-season and demanded full payment or they were recalling the buses, and would have left the corps stranded in TX. Now, that is a legitimate unforeseen hardship and nothing to do with management of the corps. Luckily, things were handled and they marched on Saturday night in Indy, and the members never really knew anything was up. 

Now with that said, I hope Legends exceed their goal, I hope their management of how the organization is run is on solid footing, and I hope they continue their mission for years to come. But...if someone is asking some hard questions, I would not assume that person wants said corps to fail, rather get it together, because $100k in a day is quite a large ask and almost unbelievable the situation occurred to begin with. But it did...the broader question is Why. 

Let's hope $110k is achieved...that would be remarkable. It already is as it stands now...

If Stu was, in fact, formulating his point of view in questions as you are, I might not find his posts on the subject objectionable.

• Like 1

Very cool to see the comments and donation that Les Stentors just provided on classy.  Very classy of them.  (pun intended!).  That's so awesome to see.