Are judges now trying to lessen the impact of General Effect?

No shift. It's about reacting to the shows based on the criteria on the sheets

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

Modern, fun General Effect made the news last year - is it still as relevant this year or does there seem to be a pendulum swing?

Just because a crowd likes it doesn't mean it's "general effect." 

The caption has remained the same.

• Like 5

We'll see.  Last year, the corps with the greatest GE, perhaps ever, won.  It was a consensus win by both judges and fans alike.   

For what it's worth, I love the Bluecoats show this year.  For me, the best GE (personal effect on my like).  

After the season, we may be able to determine if there is a paradym shift in GE - from a stage show, ala Blast!, with Bloo, to a conceptual show such as SCV, or storyline show such as BAC.     Based on what is rewarded, that may help determine where the activity heads toward in the more immediate future.

Let the season play out and the discussion begin!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Exactly. It's not personal preference. There's a set of criteria. Although Bluecoats may be the fan favorite, I think SCV has GE all over the place this year. I can see why BD is scoring so high in GE too, even though I prefer SCV and Bloo to BD. 

• Like 5

Just now, Corps_Efan said:

The Bluecoats changed GE forever! 

I'm hoping that the judges continue to show approval for for innovative, modern, creative design!

Well BD and SCV are top two in GE right now, so they are definitely awarding modern, innovative and creative design (not that Bluecoats don't have that, but so do the other three).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly. It's not personal preference. There's a set of criteria. Although Bluecoats may be the fan favorite, I think SCV has GE all over the place this year. I can see why BD is scoring so high in GE too, even though I prefer SCV and Bloo to BD. 

True, to a point.   GE has an artistic element to the adjudication process, both musicallly and visually..   At the core, art is more subjective than objective.  So, in many ways, GE is always going to be somewhat subjective. As such, the human and emotional element will always be a part of GE.    

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

But to what extent does or should "crowd reaction" play into scoring GE? 

5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

True, to a point.   GE has an artistic element to the adjudication process, both musicallly and visually..   At the core, art is more subjective than objective.  So, in many ways, GE is always going to be somewhat subjective. As such, the human and emotional element will always be a part of GE.    

Yes, I would agree with this. However, the average fan is more subjective than the judges. They have a set of criteria they must follow.