Moving Southwestern championship to Houston

Granted this is just a hope/want.... I really do think DCI can benefit from moving the southwestern championships to Houston. Two airports for fans so fans have an easier ability to fly with which ever airline they want, plenty of hotels to stay in, lots of breweries, plenty of locations for corps to stay in and NRG stadium is awesome. I don't think this would happen, but I think DCI really should consider this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Granted this is just a hope/want.... I really do think DCI can benefit from moving the southwestern championships to Houston. Two airports for fans so fans have an easier ability to fly with which ever airline they want, plenty of hotels to stay in, lots of breweries, plenty of locations for corps to stay in and NRG stadium is awesome. I don't think this would happen, but I think DCI really should consider this.

Does that mean a lot of car renting and car driving to the venue? (Or do you have a Cavies Mobile for use as a shuttle?) For me, flying in and not having to deal with cars is a big part of what makes SA a good big show. Same for one of the benefits of Indy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Does that mean a lot of car renting and car driving to the venue? (Or do you have a Cavies Mobile for use as a shuttle?) For me, flying in and not having to deal with cars is a big part of what makes SA a good big show. Same for one of the benefits of Indy.

I know hobby airport is on the southeast side of Houston. Same as reliant stadium. But, I totally understand that point.

4 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

I suspect facility costs alone are what makes SA a no-brainer. Moving to an NFL stadium in Houston might look nice on the surface, but at what cost financially?

Southeastern championship was in the falcons stadium for a good long while

No Alamodome, no Bill Miller's. That's gonna be a hard pass. 

• Like 3

Having spent the day walking around Riverwalk and seeing all the corps kids having a day off, I'm not sure Houston would have the same vibe.  Is there a central gathering place where the MM's could spend and day and interact with each other?  Seeing kids from different corps getting to know each other is pretty special.

• Like 5

The TBA always has their convention the same time as DCI Southwestern in San Antonio, so I doubt that either are leaving anytime soon. Also, San Antonio is more tourist friendly than Houston, the traffic isnt too bad and like Indy, there are a number of hotels near the venue.