Moving Southwestern championship to Houston

No. I hope not ever. SA central in the state. Houston traffic is atrocious. 

4 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Granted this is just a hope/want.... I really do think DCI can benefit from moving the southwestern championships to Houston. Two airports for fans so fans have an easier ability to fly with which ever airline they want, plenty of hotels to stay in, lots of breweries, plenty of locations for corps to stay in and NRG stadium is awesome. I don't think this would happen, but I think DCI really should consider this.

They JUST had a record attendance of 14K ++++

Why would they EVER want to do this? This proposal would definitely be dead on arrival...

Just now, Liahona said:

They JUST had a record attendance of 14K ++++

Why would they EVER want to do this? This proposal would definitely be dead on arrival...

That record could be broken in the 4th biggest city in the country. Lok nah, it more than likely won't move from SA... but I can always hope that someday dci will have some sort of championship in my homecity.

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I actually wouldn't mind if they had the Southwestern Championship on a rotating basis where one year San Antonio would host, then Houston, then DFW (AT&T Stadium in Arlington), and so on. Would be really cool to get all three of the major metropolitan areas of Texas involved.

I'd like to see more variety in the tour in general.

Indy every year? No problem. But at least mix up the regionals. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Granted this is just a hope/want.... I really do think DCI can benefit from moving the southwestern championships to Houston. Two airports for fans so fans have an easier ability to fly with which ever airline they want, plenty of hotels to stay in, lots of breweries, plenty of locations for corps to stay in and NRG stadium is awesome. I don't think this would happen, but I think DCI really should consider this.

Move it to Dallas. 

6 hours ago, BlueStarsDad said:

Wallking around Riverwalk and seeing all the corps kids having a day off, I'm not sure Houston would have the same vibe.  Is there a central gathering place where the MM's could spend and day and interact with each other?  .

There is the Galleria in Houston, but it's not right next door like Riverwalk is in SA.

Not sure if the NRG Stadium roof in Houston roof can be closed (It does close) and AC'ed for a Drum Corps show.  

AC in the Alamo Dome is nice in South Texas in July!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I'd like to see more variety in the tour in general.

Indy every year? No problem. But at least mix up the regionals. 

I would leave the regionals as they are but move the championships.

I understand all the business reasons that DCI sticks to Hoosierville, but having it perpetually there discriminates financially against all non-Midwesterners who have to pay out far more for travel expenses, air fare, and hotels just so the Midwesterners are convienced. I say charge the Indianans more for DCI tickets if the West, the East coast, the South West, the Northwesterners and Canadians are deprived of championships. The Federal govt. is already subsidizing from our tax monies their soybeans, corns, and dairy. Why should we DCI fans subsidize them more by our sacrifices?

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I would leave the regionals as they are but move the championships.

I understand all the business reasons that DCI sticks to Hoosierville, but having it perpetually there discriminates financially against all non-Midwesterners who have to pay out far more for travel expenses, air fare, and hotels just so the Midwesterners are convienced. I say charge the Indianans more for DCI tickets if the West, the East coast, the South West, the Northwesterners and Canadians are deprived of championships. The Federal govt. is already subsidizing from our tax monies their soybeans, corns, and dairy. Why should we DCI fans subsidize them more by our sacrifices?

I'd gladly pay more, given that I can drive an hour to LOS. Better, they could explore ways to charge based on demand, charging higher fees to people who value finals night (or any other competition) higher than other attendees. 

As for the agricultural subsidies, so true, and an excellent point to make. Trouble is, once we start investigating subsidies of all kinds to citizens of all states, the argument to focus only on Hoosier farmers likely weakens quite a lot. But I am glad to read something economically sensible, with shades of the libertarian POV (intended or not).

A bit more seriously: I would also gladly go elsewhere for finals week. And a rotation would be fun. I'd want an indoor facility, however nice outdoor has been at times for past championships and other shows. Just too messy for everyone to risk a confrontation with weather over 2-3 days or more. And I'd want plenty of hotels within walking distance. That is so convenient for managing the family kiddies and avoiding yet more costs for car rentals, parking, and (non-dollar costs, mostly) of driving around an unfamiliar city. I'm sure there are also important considerations for show operations that I don't know about - close, open spaces for warmups, busses, trucks?

Actually, my last paragraph risks hijacking Hook'em's thread into yet another DCI finals location/Indy is boring discussion. Let's not do that. Houston for a regional? Tough to beat what's available in San Antonio, in my opinion. But it's always worth exploring alternatives and soliciting ideas from others.