Has the time come?

With Regiment sacrificing hornline for guard this year, it got me thinking...

if staging and Blast style shows are the move DCI is making, could they up the total amount of members for each corps? What would the cut-off be? 170? 200? How many is too many? Would it hinder drill at some point? 

Watching Regiment take the field with 30 contras would be bad-### though...just a thought. 

$.02. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

With Regiment sacrificing hornline for guard this year, it got me thinking...

if staging and Blast style shows are the move DCI is making, could they up the total amount of members for each corps? What would the cut-off be? 170? 200? How many is too many? Would it hinder drill at some point? 

Watching Regiment take the field with 30 contras would be bad-### though...just a thought. 

$.02. 

Any increase in corps size would require the addition of another member bus. Currently at 150 members, there are 3 busses for the corps. Think of all the extra costs associated with that. Bus driver, gas, insurance, bus rental, etc. doesn't make economical sense to me for drum corps.

• Like 1

Just now, littlejaw said:

Any increase in corps size would require the addition of another member bus. Currently at 150 members, there are 3 busses for the corps. Think of all the extra costs associated with that. Bus driver, gas, insurance, bus rental, etc. doesn't make economical sense to me for drum corps.

Agreed. But I'm sure they'll increase the number at some point, though who knows if any corps even want to add MM as of right now. Logistics aside, how big can each corps get before it becomes too many?

14 hours ago, fireshane1 said:

Agreed. But I'm sure they'll increase the number at some point, though who knows if any corps even want to add MM as of right now. Logistics aside, how big can each corps get before it becomes too many?

I think 150 is a very solid number for some time. A tipping point is probably 200 members. I think at that point you aren't just pushing passed a 4th bus, but you are generating so much needed equipment that extra 18-wheelers would be needed. Currently most groups have also food truck and 2 equipment trucks. Getting close to 200 would probably require a 4th truck and all of the costs and problems that come along with that.

Edited by littlejaw
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

Brass lines will become smaller ( they already are with a couple of top tier Corps ) as now its possible to increase the volume AND the quality of the brass line ( and percussion ) with the use of speaker systems, synths, microphones, amplification, and other astute applications via enhanced engineering mechanisms. So no, I really do not see Corps increasing in size in future years. The Corps are more likely to decease in size in my opinion in future years for the reasons I just mentioned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

next bus will be for 8 piccolos, 30 clarinet and 12 saxophones.

not for your silly contras

It really hit me during one of the shows last night (I forget which) when, at one point, all the tubas were laying down (another fad, these days) and there was an enormous amount of low end synth bass pumping out. Stadium filling levels. And I wondered if we've reached the point where designers and arrangers see them as sort of superfluous. I hope not.

It would be cool to see Phantom marching 30 contras....  At some point however, you have to consider the shear practicality and logistics involved in things like housing and food.  Acceptable housing is now one of, if not, the most difficult challenge for show sponsors and increasing the housing requirements due to larger corps would be tough.  Unfortunately, more isn't always the most practical.  

44 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

This. The increase to 150 was due to the increase in bus capacity over the years. Until they start making buses that can hold more, they won't increase the size. Time for double decker buses?