Beauteous Birmingham - July 27

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

Those of us who survived the heat and humidity of the championships at Legion Field bitd, still remember the wonderful hospitality and welcome of Homewood h.s. (Patriots). So hospitable that they even had the instructors and admin over to the band director's home for a sit down at the dining room long table dinner while the mms were fed back in the school by the wonderful band parents and members. True Southern charm.

Well this is the south. Most everyone is super nice and will feed you till you pop lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Those of us who survived the heat and humidity of the championships at Legion Field bitd, still remember the wonderful hospitality and welcome of Homewood h.s. (Patriots). So hospitable that they even had the instructors and admin over to the band director's home for a sit down at the dining room long table dinner while the mms were fed back in the school by the wonderful band parents and members. True Southern charm.

I remember staying at Homewood finals week in 1979, and rehearsing some just across the highway at Samford (site of Thursday night's show). That's where part of the documentary, "One Night in August," was filmed.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 2

Good Luck to all and a special welcome home to these talented brothers from Alabama!

Sic 'em BAC!     Hank and Logan

• Like 5

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

I forgot that they hosted DCI Championships at Legion Field. 

6 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

I remember staying at Homewood finals week in 1979, and rehearsing some just across the highway at Samford (site of Thursday night's show). That's where part of the documentary, "One Night in August," was filmed.

That 70s hair!

BAC should take this, of course. Interesting ongoing matchup of Crossmen, Madison, Mandarins. I'm rooting for Madison, but I enjoyed the Mandarins a lot in San Antonio. Crossmen are holding their own, though I have not been a big fan of their show this year. Still, it's tough not to wish all three corps luck fighting it out for appearances on Saturday night.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CorpwithanS said:

Good Luck to all and a special welcome home to these talented brothers from Alabama!

Sic 'em BAC!     Hank and Logan

Hank and Logan (Bass 5 & Bass 3, respectively) are two of the nicest, most polite guys I have ever met.  Hank is aging out and Logan is just beginning his DCI "career".  Hoping BAC can break 90 tonight!  And yes, I was in BAC in 1980 when we had finals at Legion Field in Birmingham, and this kid from Maine remembers it being the hottest few days OF MY LIFE!

• Like 3

The last time Boston won a show was on July 30, 2015 in Quincy, MA. After nearly two years without a show win, they will more than likely end that drought tonight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, afd said:

I forgot that they hosted DCI Championships at Legion Field. 

Birmingham hosted twice.  One year we stayed in Pell City ("Where in the hell is Pell City" was a popular T-shirt).  The next year we stayed in Bessemer.  It was hot, we had little food and Pell City had the biggest cockroaches I ever saw and they infested everyone's sleeping bags when we were out at rehearsal.  And bats, lots of bats too.  Good luck to all tonight...Boston for the win with an 89.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Birmingham hosted twice.  One year we stayed in Pell City ("Where in the hell is Pell City" was a popular T-shirt).  The next year we stayed in Bessemer.  It was hot, we had little food and Pell City had the biggest cockroaches I ever saw and they infested everyone's sleeping bags when we were out at rehearsal.  And bats, lots of bats too.  Good luck to all tonight...Boston for the win with an 89.

Good luck to all tonight.  The Bats will get along nicely with the Witch's  and I here the chocolate covered cockroaches are quite good down there.