Combined Broken Arrow/Belton/San Antonio Review

An amazing, detailed review.  For someone who hasn't gotten to see as many shows at this point as usual, it was just great.  Makes me look even more forward to Allentown & DCI.  Thank you!

Harvey

• Like 1

I didn't realize Horizon was a Sound Sport team.   I just happened to tune in the stream around that time, didn't look at the schedule, and assumed this was an Open Class drum corps.  That's really impressive.  I get the feeling we will be hearing more about them as they move up the ranks in competition.    

Sound Sport was a terrific addition to the activity by DCI!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

WAY...TOO...MUCH...BASS.  Like Oh my God.  I thought that was gonna reach brown note frequency from South Park levels, it's LOUD.  

DrumManTx - LOVE your review.  You've got a little something in there for everyone.  

Great job!  Thanks!

• Like 2

A thorough, heartfelt and very personal review! Thank-you DrumManTx ; your rode the ride, walked the walk, and shared the memories. Cheers!

• Like 1

Outstanding!!!  Thanks!!!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 0:28 AM, saxfreq1128 said:

This is why @DrumManTx is my favorite. 

Thanks.  :inlove:

And I just read your signature.  Really really really like this:

I think we would all love DCI more if we learned to appreciate these shows for what they are, rather than for what we want them to be -- for what they do, rather than for what we think they should be doing. Because what they are and what they do, top to bottom, traditional and not, is amazing.

Love it.  

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 1:14 AM, DrumManTx said:

Boston Crusaders - Wicked Games

I don't think I have a single negative thing to say about this show; I think this was my favorite of the week.  It's 12 minutes of perfectly spaced amazing moments and being sold by 150 incredible performers.  Musical construction as I've said before is amazing, the pacing, layering of voice overs into the music, use of voice in the texture of the brass in the ballad, and use of the front ensemble as a thread to weave together the whole show is just absolutely masterful.  Visually it's the same thing.  Your eye is guided so well to every single big event and moment and is sold by what I thought was easily one of the best guards on the field at both shows that I saw.  They grab you by the throat and do not let go for the whole show.  I was so blown away by them, the work and performance quality selling the characterization of this show is amazing.  The singer in the ballad, she looks and sounds like she's part of a high end theatrical production and her voice is incredible.  She sounds like she is singing with a purpose.  Brass and percussion are fantastic, the control and clarity in that opening statement from the brass is so tasteful, and the percussion throughout is text book McNutt/Moyer.  Those rim shots going into "Grohg" are so tasteful and their features in that section and the Ginastera are absolutely fantastic.  The usage of themes in the front ensemble throughout again is so good; I love how "Moonlight Sonata" kept finding its way back in throughout the show.  The ending........screw historical accuracy.  That is one of the most enthralling things I have ever experienced at a drum corps show.  The little addition of that smoke just puts the cherry on top, but that chord in the brass at the end..........wow.  Had me on my feet well before the end at both shows; this is one of the most entertaining experiences I've had the pleasure of experiencing as a drum corps fan.  Finally, I love the fact they're not shying away from such dark material and selling it in a way that's appealing.  That's hard to do.  And as I told the souvenir lady in Belton, those members are kicking ###.

It seems I ought to emphasize, as regards the sentence I have bolded: I agree with it entirely, and have since I first saw the fiery ending on the San Antonio webcast. I was immediately sold.

Just as in Shakespeare's plays, where the facts were often quite twisted (Richard III, for instance, wasn't such a villain in real life), in works of art, the art has to come first, even if history is distorted. Or as the reporter says at the end of the film The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

(But only in art. Journalists and historians need to stick with the facts.)