Mustang Meetup in Oklahoma Heartland, 7/25

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I admit it... I love the Academy's show this season. My hope is that if they don't make Finals, they don't decide for 2018 to come out with some obtuse, navel gazing, introspective schizz for a theme that all 11 judges on a panel won't know or agree on what the hell the show is all about. Academy in 2017 is a veritable breath of fresh air to other higher placing Corps shows that are more depressing, more brooding, more dark, more sinister ( or lets face it.. more confusing in some cases ). Nothing wrong with those type shows either. ' Just don't want to see the Academy to abandon their uplifting, fun themes next season and join the rest of " club " in DCI in their quest to return to higher placements.

I highly doubt you will see them change. Several years ago they made a conscience decision to produce accessible shows that would engage the audience. I don't see them abandoning this any time soon since it was the formula that finally made them a finalist corps. They've created a brand, found their niche, and continue to steadily build the organization. 

• Like 3

It's so rare for regular folks of "flyover country" to see/hear anything remotely associated with their lives or experience... I can understand why any glimpse of their reality would be cause for celebrating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bachstrad said:

It's so rare for regular folks of "flyover country" to see/hear anything remotely associated with their lives or experience... I can understand why any glimpse of their reality would be cause for celebrating.

I live in Missouri, which is considered a "flyover" state. We're not a bunch of bible thumping county bumpkins. That's a gross generalization and is honestly pretty offensive.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Edited by tommynev
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, tommynev said:

I live in Missouri, which is considered a "flyover" state. We're not a bunch of bible thumping county bumpkins. That's a gross generalization and honestly pretty offensive.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I believe what he meant is in main stream media and entertainment these days it is typically becoming rarer to find traditional values on display. It isn't an offensive statement it's a point of view. I live in the east coast and I get what he is saying. It amazes me sometimes the disregard and lack of respect some bicoastal folks tread southerners or folks from the Midwest. Media clumps those folks into a pile and stereotypes the heck out of them

I am non religious but I did find some of the comments early regarding born again and Bible Belt somewhat offensive. 

I guess respect really does need to work both ways 

Great show tonight and good turnout! There's something neat about these smaller lineup shows - less "audience fatigue" I suppose.

Had a drum corps rookie with our group and she seemed to really enjoy it. She was pretty speechless after Crown and liked them the most. The quality of their brassline is undeniable to the most and least seasoned of fans. She also seemed to really enjoy the highly fan-friendly Academy show.

As for my reactions I appreciated all the hard work of all the corps and the great stuff they're putting on the field. Academy - as others have said - have really got a formula down. Familiar music, well played, with a cute/clever concept. Really enjoyed it!

Cadets are improving and think the new drill ending will be very cool when cleaned. I love the Cadets but it's just not my thing this year. 

Crown's brass is just sublime to hear live. As has been the case for many years now it's gonna be tough to beat that line. Great performance by the singer - my brass loving ears just wish they could hear that heavenly brass plus percussion exclusively. Guess I'm a drum corps dino at heart. 

And last but not least my favorite corps - Santa Clara. I am biased and tend to prefer their style but my goodness what a masterpiece this year. Visually there's so much going on and the demand is off the charts. While undeniably vanguard the show is this wonderful drum corps fusion of eras and corps influences, which given the background of the design team is no surprise. Musically it has a vibe of late 90s aggressive SCV, with hints of Phantom in a few spots (bless you mellos and JD), yet very modern too. Visually it has that early 2000s cavalier vibe at times with the drill (meat grinder sequence for instance) and guard integration yet is also "new school" with the complex use of props. It's a wonderfully complex fusion of new and great things from the past. Kudos to the performers for making such a difficult show look easy and to the design team for putting one heck of a show together. If you have the chance to see this show in person - DO IT!

A great night of drum corps!

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I believe what he meant is in main stream media and entertainment these days it is typically becoming rarer to find traditional values on display. It isn't an offensive statement it's a point of view. I live in the east coast and I get what he is saying. It amazes me sometimes the disregard and lack of respect some bicoastal folks tread southerners or folks from the Midwest. Media clumps those folks into a pile and stereotypes the heck out of them

I am non religious but I did find some of the comments early regarding born again and Bible Belt somewhat offensive. 

I guess respect really does need to work both ways 

Thanks for clarifying his post to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trenta536 said:

Wow... Crown 0.6 over SCV in brass

Crown's hornline is no joke, but SCV makes up for it in percussion score with a 0.5 spread over Crown's percussion score. Overall, SCV won music which is what matters. Doesn't take anything away from the fact that Crown will probably win brass caption at finals. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alzam81 said:

Crown's hornline is no joke, but SCV makes up for it in percussion score with a 0.5 spread over Crown's percussion score. Overall, SCV won music which is what matters. Doesn't take anything away from the fact that Crown will probably win brass caption at finals. 

They got a killer hornline, and should be slaying in it. But the other captions is where they are lacking (CG/Perc) let the other top dogs make up for that gap in Brass.