What The Heck? No Hats or Shakos?

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

That's one way of looking at it.   

On the other hand, as a Bluecoats fan, there was something pretty bad$$@ about the look of those dark helmets and the unis from 07-12.   13-15 were pretty cool too.   But, the tough looking, here we are look, connected pretty darn well with me and many others.

Facial expressions of the kids on the field isn't nearly as awesome as aura of bad$$@ery!

I LOVED Bloo's 07-12 unis.  And the helmets - unmistakably the Coats.  I don't want to lose the headware entirely.  Really hoping it's just a fad that will pass.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

What the heck is up with corps in which members are wearing no hats or shakos? The hat/shako was the crowing point of a uniform and truly identified a corps. Especially The Vanguard. 

Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I'm not liking this trend in DCI at all. 

You're a fuddy-duddy.  

I don't necessarily think you are, but you asked me to call you one and I respect that.

• Like 7

I appreciate how BD has kept the traditional uniform somewhat in tact while modernizing and customizing for their shows.  You still see BD MMs marching with plumed shakos!

IN 2012 I rode the INdy Go bus from the airport and sat next to a BD seamstress.  She explained to me how they converted the unis for the show that year.  Though I think now the trend is brand new from scratch unis every year.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, luv4corps said:

I appreciate how BD has kept the traditional uniform somewhat in tact while modernizing and customizing for their show.  You still see BD MMs marching with plumed shakos!

To be fair, SCV's drum majors still have aussies

• Like 1

I've said my piece on this before, but I feel strongly enough about it that I'll say it again.  I think it's a HUGE mistake to let go so much of what has made each corps identity in the headgear and uniforms.  I too am certainly hoping it's a fad. 

The headgear makes the visual from midway to the top of the stands pop so much more and adds so much presence and height to the corps.  it's part of what always made corps like Vanguard, Cavaliers, Cadets, BD, Scouts and Phantom larger than life to me.  And to those parroting the current staff propagandists, NO, there is absolutely no connection to the audience gained going hatless unless you are sitting in the bottom few rows of the stadium.   Instead, you've further sacrificed visual clarity on the field from the top 2/3s of each stadium and given away a great deal of the mystique that made many fall in love with corps.  I think Blue Knights are a great example.  They've done so well with those great shakos and Plumes and it was a nice visual effect and clarity point for them in recent years.  Their visual program this year is so lackluster by comparison.

The WGI judge that recently commented about hating the hats in DCI.  That's all that's wrong with what's continuing to be a stage-like or WGI influence on Drum Corps show design, IMO.

I remember sitting with some newbies at a DCI Dallas Lake Highlands show years ago as Phantom marched out onto the field and their comment was something along the lines of "My God, they look like giants - absolutely regal"  That's a mystique that is a vital part of many corps identity that I hope makes a quick return.

Harvey

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

To be fair, SCV's drum majors still have aussies

True.  

3 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

I remember sitting with some newbies at a DCI Dallas Lake Highlands show years ago as Phantom marched out onto the field and their comment was something along the lines of "My God, they look like giants - absolutely regal"  That's a mystique that is a vital part of many corps identity that I hope makes a quick return.

If PR joins the bandwagon and drops those plumed helmets it truly will be a sad say for DCI.  I agree there is a mystique when heads are covered.  And there is NO MISTAKING the visual pop that is lost with bear heads.

Back in 2011 or so, my daughter and I were standing in the concourse at Lucas Oil after the semis.  A heavy thunderstorm was passing through the area and people were taking cover outside.  The Phantom hornline happened to be just outside the glass from where we were.  In an effort to wait out the rain, they all came back into the stadium and made a half circle directly around my daughter and me.  The helmets were on - adorned with massive white plumage.  Honestly, we were star struck and yes, the MMs looked huge.  Then they removed the helmets and set them in perfect rows on the floor so as to assume a more relaxed posture.  Just seeing this happen was a thrill.  If they never had the headwear on it would NOT have been the same!

• Like 1

I don't think it is a trend, because hats will be generally beneficial in helping the corps achieve the look they want.  I think most all corps will still choose to wear hats most all years.  

If I am wrong and it is a trend with a continual trajectory, though, maybe everyone will be naked in 5 years.  That might be a good time to eliminate sabers from the activity.  

• Like 4

as we go into elements to support the performances, sometimes the head gear doesnt fit.  

Madison using their head dress mohawks (and shaved heads) for example.  Versus the clear fako's of crown.  both fit the performance.  but oddly, after seeing many DCA corps not wear head gear during shows, it doesnt bother me that much.

To be fair, we are also seeing a lot more variety in headgear this year too. Look at Academy, Madison, and Bluecoats. It's not just shakos and Aussies anymore.

Also, corps have performed without hats in certain parts of their show before. Phantom 1993 and 2008 come to mind, as well as BD 2012. There are several other examples from past years.

And I think the no-headgear thing looks way better on a corps with lighter colors than a corps with darker colors. Just compare BK's 2017 uniform with the Cadets 2017 robes when you look at them from a higher angle.

In terms of my opinion, if you want to go without headgear because the show is way too crazy and risky to pull off with it (e.g. Bluecoats 2016), I'm OK with that. But if it's for "audience connection" purposes, please don't. Just do what you've been doing for years and take off your hats when you want to give the audience that special connection. Or better yet, just show it through musical and visual performance as we've been doing since the activity's beginning.

• Like 2