Inconsistent guard judging

1 hour ago, Lance said:

scores are dumb

While I can enjoy a given show in spite of the score it gets, it is because of scoring that this activity is way more interesting than a bunch of groups performing shows. Scoring pushes everyone involved to higher levels. 

5 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

T hasn't even judged yet!

yes she has

4 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

I think that would be true if they were all doing the same thing / or we still had the tick system - so that any one night one group would jump and then drop but that is not the case.   They have vastly different books/staging/concepts and the judges are judging them in vastly different ways (IMHO)

ticks varied from judge to judge. proven fact. next argument please

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lance said:

scores are dumb

people would complain if they were too consistent

just enjoy the show

amen....cries of slotting across the universe, yellow slips of paper and more!

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Anyway yes there appears to be allot of inconsistencies in this caption. . 

I think thats a valid observation, Jim.  This is readily borne out by the wide swings in scores and placements from show to show in the Guard Caption. We have swings in other captions too that we are witnessing, but there is not such huge volatility it seems that we are seeing from the Guard caption... this summer in particular. The reasons could be myriad for this... anything from different performance levels from night to night with these Guards to perhaps judges having disparate training, experiences, and what they value most in their assessments regarding these Guards performances amongt the various Corps. I don't pretend to know the reasons we are noticing the volatility though. Its above my paygrade.. haha!... but just want to chime in that the swings in scores and placements for guards this season is certainly undeniably present. We all see it too. But the reasons for it ? Oh man... who here really knows for certain. Maybe this would be a good question for Dan Potter's DCI future podcast episodes. Maybe he could bring in a guard judge to help us fans more fully understand why the volatilty that seems to be occurring with a bit more frequency of late. Just a thought anyway for Dan Potter at DCI.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I celebrate wide swings in guard judging if that in fact is happening. About fricken time. Call it like you see it that day.  Do we want the finals placements to be decided on the first show in June?

Is it possible that since guard, in the traditional sense, no longer exists in drum corps, that the judging community lacks a consistent eye in what they value as performance?

Guard members have become dancers.   Brass and percussion members wear costumes and do guard things.

What exactly is guard anymore?

• Like 4