Inconsistent guard judging

This year more than ever it seems a particular guard will do well or badly depending on who judges.  Now I appreciate each group should be judged for their performance on the night but I don't buy that that is the reason for judging to be all over the place in the guard caption!  One night Blue Stars beats Crown, the next they are way down and beaten by Mandarins.  One night Cadets beats Bluecoats then next they are way off the mark.  One night SCV beats BD the next they place 4th.  One day Phantom is in 8th place then next they are narrowly out of 3rd.

It seems to me that each judge has their own interpretation of the judging system and their own preferences and bias.  It's a shame that the corps will be watching carefully who is judging to determine their finals placement.  This year more than ever, guard will have a huge impact on final placements:

• How high will Boston's place in guard?  
  • How low will Crown score? Will it cost them a silver or bronze medal?
  • Will guard end up being Cadets strength or their weakness again?  
  • Will the right judge be in place to put Mandarins' guard high enough to knock out Madison for 12th place?

All depends on who judges on the night......

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

This year more than ever it seems a particular guard will do well or badly depending on who judges.  Now I appreciate each group should be judged for their performance on the night but I don't buy that that is the reason for judging to be all over the place in the guard caption!  One night Blue Stars beats Crown, the next they are way down and beaten by Mandarins.  One night Cadets beats Bluecoats then next they are way off the mark.  One night SCV beats BD the next they place 4th.  One day Phantom is in 8th place then next they are narrowly out of 3rd.

It seems to me that each judge has their own interpretation of the judging system and their own preferences and bias.  It's a shame that the corps will be watching carefully who is judging to determine their finals placement.  This year more than ever, guard will have a huge impact on final placements:

• How high will Boston's place in guard?  
  • How low will Crown score? Will it cost them a silver or bronze medal?
  • Will guard end up being Cadets strength or their weakness again?  
  • Will the right judge be in place to put Mandarins' guard high enough to knock out Madison for 12th place?

All depends on who judges on the night......

Welcome to drum corps.  :lol:

I understand you have been here a while and know the drill.  I just couldn't pass it up.

As a Cavalier FMM, I can say just one letter and set the world on fire with this subject.  I will let others fill in the rest

T

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 2

Just now, Old Corps Guy said:

I understand you have been here a while and know the drill.  I just couldn't pass it up.

As a Cavalier FMM, I can say just one letter and set the world on fire with this subject.

T

I see what you did there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

As a Cavalier FMM, I can say just one letter and set the world on fire with this subject.  I will let others fill in the rest

T

Torched ya

• Like 7

Just now, Cappybara said:

Torched ya

And so it goes...........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCI-86 said:

T hasn't even judged yet!

Its just the past experience on this subject.  Like I said, One letter with multiple responses in a matter of minutes.

I wonder what the qualification to judge DCI guard is? I know one DCI guard judge who has never spun a flag in their life and doesn't know one end of a rifle from another!

1 minute ago, DCI-86 said:

I know this has happened ad infinitum but it just seems worse than ever this year......

If it makes you feel any better, its no different on the Band side of judging as well.  One judge will love the idea and the work while a judge at the next competition will say "I don't get it" and kill your score.

It is what it is.