Amplify THIS ! !

NOt me.  Funny thing is, I listened to a short clip of the Cavaliers encore from a few nights ago.  They performed a piece that had a bunch of electronics (overpowering everything unfortunately), then a piece that was all natural brass and percussion.  Polite applause for the overly electronic piece.  Rousing applause for the acoustic piece.  That said volumes to me!!

Despite my desire to eliminate the electronic noise, I would not mind if they could just get it balanced better. It is often so overwhelming that it just ruins the experience for me.  Just my opinion.  Thanks!

Edited by Spartans87
  • Like 8

Get ready for the flaming LOL.  I agree BTW.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Get ready for the flaming LOL.  I agree BTW.

Ha!  At my age, no one's arrows penetrate.

I do like much of what electronics can bring to these performances. But, this heavy, fake bass stuff has gone a little too far. How can anyone respect the abuse of this ability? It proves nothing. Impresses few over the age of 12.

• Like 8

I thought the bass from the Blue Devils in San Antonio was car-thumping distracting. But no one else seemed to be bothered by it. (Plus, I was still repeating the drum piece from their opener.)

As for electronics, not my thing. Sometimes a soloist comes across wonderful because of a mic, and I don't think you'd get that without electronics. I posted a video recently of the 1988 closer Malaguena by the Scouts. Just hard to understand why that wasn't fantastic enough without amps.

Plus, the Scouts had a terrific visual and drill going on - amazingly, with no props and other junk.

But I take it the ship has sailed on all of this. DCI folks must like it. I'll take what I can get.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Ha!  At my age, no one's arrows penetrate.

I do like much of what electronics can bring to these performances. But, this heavy, fake bass stuff has gone a little too far. How can anyone respect the abuse of this ability? It proves nothing. Impresses few over the age of 12.

Like I said a while back in another thread, there needs to be a ratio of tubas to the rest of the hornline at which synthetic bass is not allowed.

Either that, or recruit a second brass judge that judges from the press box (in addition to the current on-field brass judge).

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Sizes and complexity of sound systems are growing.

Boy you're not kidding.  And some corps have really embraced the fancy dancy PA system while others lag behind in this regard.  So based on PA systems alone, the playing field is NOT level.

Check out BD's PA system - woofers and tweeters stretched all across the pit and out to the sides.  Other corps have only two main speakers on either side of the pit.  There is a reason BD's bass was car-thumping distracting!  I sat through a full ensemble rehearsal of theirs and the Rhianna bits were positively deafening without a sound-absorbing audience.

Edited by luv4corps

11 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I thought the bass from the Blue Devils in San Antonio was car-thumping distracting. But no one else seemed to be bothered by it. (Plus, I was still repeating the drum piece from their opener.)

As for electronics, not my thing. Sometimes a soloist comes across wonderful because of a mic, and I don't think you'd get that without electronics. I posted a video recently of the 1988 closer Malaguena by the Scouts. Just hard to understand why that wasn't fantastic enough without amps.

Plus, the Scouts had a terrific visual and drill going on - amazingly, with no props and other junk.

But I take it the ship has sailed on all of this. DCI folks must like it. I'll take what I can get.

I'm okay with soloists being miced. Trumpets aren't G bugles, they won't generate the same power. 

Using a mic allows for much better tone quality and avoids the harshness that would occur without the mic. I use 2012 Pacific Crest as an example. They had a gorgeous flugelhorn solo play the melody of Yellow by Coldplay and it was chill-inducing good. You just can't have solos like that without a mic 

• Like 2

When did drum corps become singer with brass accompaniment? Take Crown. She sings well but the blend with the brass just doesn't match up. And you have that awesome brass please let them shine. She sings the first verse ok but its not necessary for her to sing the whole piece. This is just becoming musical theater on grass. 

• Like 5