TV Bando Drumline thing

Advice needed quick, but maybe pertinent for a larger discussion...

Finally got a call from the local ABC affiliate after leaving 3 messages for 3 months for the field reporter for the "Our Town Live" morning show (intentionally fictitious show name).  They heard (!) about our show in Dublin and want to send a field reporter out and do six, SIX, two-minute live shots from the opening of show day in central Ohio!  Yay, right!??

Problem: said TV show is only from 6:50am to 9:50a and they'll do 2-minutes live spots at :20 and :50 after each hour.  Said TV field guy doesn't seem to understand that our corps are arriving between 3:30am and 7:30am and they get several hours of floor time first.

Said TV guy says "Can't you just get some kids to bang on drums and maybe do some tricks or something!  Maybe let me beat on a drum, too?  If that's not going to be possible, then we won't be able to come out"

TV guy doesn't understand drum corps, despite my personal and lengthy email explaining what happens on show-day morning.  It's maybe obvious that he's not as interested in showing the corps' quality and mechanics (cooks, volunteers, staff, etc) and that they won't be AWAKE until the end of his show...

What would you do?  Find an attending corps willing to keep some kids awake when they arrive to slap on some drums and do some "tricks" (aka: be "Drum Line"-d), or tell TV-guy "Sorry, this is the way it works and NO you can't bang on some drums"?

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Advice needed quick, but maybe pertinent for a larger discussion...

Finally got a call from the local ABC affiliate after leaving 3 messages for 3 months for the field reporter for the "Our Town Live" morning show (intentionally fictitious show name).  They heard (!) about our show in Dublin and want to send a field reporter out and do six, SIX, two-minute live shots from the opening of show day in central Ohio!  Yay, right!??

Problem: said TV show is only from 6:50am to 9:50a and they'll do 2-minutes live spots at :20 and :50 after each hour.  Said TV field guy doesn't seem to understand that our corps are arriving between 3:30am and 7:30am and they get several hours of floor time first.

Said TV guy says "Can't you just get some kids to bang on drums and maybe do some tricks or something!  Maybe let me beat on a drum, too?  If that's not going to be possible, then we won't be able to come out"

TV guy doesn't understand drum corps, despite my personal and lengthy email explaining what happens on show-day morning.  It's maybe obvious that he's not as interested in showing the corps' quality and mechanics (cooks, volunteers, staff, etc) and that they won't be AWAKE until the end of his show...

What would you do?  Find an attending corps willing to keep some kids awake when they arrive to slap on some drums and do some "tricks" (aka: be "Drum Line"-d), or tell TV-guy "Sorry, this is the way it works and NO you can't bang on some drums"?

Any exposure is good exposure in my opinion. I would just make sure that in the show, they give a detailed explanation of what drum corps actually is to get the name out? 

I thinks some shots of the equipment would be interesting - possibly go through some kitchen trucks, go through some equipment trucks - tip toe through a gym and show the forms of sleeping MMs -- have staff talk about the show that day and the tour -- 

I like your idea about having the tv talent strap on some equipment and see what it's like -- 

but yeah - they want people in full costume performing --- maybe ask them to comeback at night and get some shots from the show?

Way to go --  getting some media exposure!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Polonius said:

I thinks some shots of the equipment would be interesting - possibly go through some kitchen trucks, go through some equipment trucks - tip toe through a gym and show the forms of sleeping MMs -- have staff talk about the show that day and the tour -- 

I like your idea about having the tv talent strap on some equipment and see what it's like -- 

but yeah - they want people in full costume performing --- maybe ask them to comeback at night and get some shots from the show?

Way to go --  getting some media exposure!

Sorry, I'm not being clear.  The show is only from 6:50am to 9:50a.  No chance to get night shots or come back later any time.  

And the TV guy wants to know if he can bang on drums, I'm not offering, and I'm presuming that:  A) drummers don't like people touching their stuff and, B) drummers want to sleep, too.  

And, personally, I don't want him "Drumline"-ing his presentation.  Heck, I've got all kinds of things to shoot (as you mention) and would LOVE to get the cook truck volunteers on camera, but TV guy seems only interested in having kids playing.  At 7am.  When they're arriving.  Or sleeping.

Is it really WORTH IT to interfere with this kid's life and focus so some TV goober can "Drumline" them?

It's not like I don't have anything else to do...

Edited by garfield

Career news guy here. Not TV, but I know the type. Great work getting their attention, but also: my sympathies.

Are they open to some exclusive access during corps waking hours, and during show, that they can record and show the following morning, with results? Maybe some GoPro access that they can really hype, plus they can add in the drama of the outcome of (what will be the previous night's) contest. Could match up local TV talent guy against a color guard member on a rifle; against a tenor drummer in a drum line; against a tuba player, etc. Play it for laughs. Give them great access during day-of-contest rehearsal time, and at the show where possible. Basically, if you can't give them live-time, give them great access.

EDIT: Just read your latest post: It really is live or nothing huh?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

Sometimes these local-tv stations share content across their morning and evening shows. Depending on your market (Columbus is a big one), the evening news shows sometimes have 30 minutes of hard local news, then the 30-minute network cast, followed by another 30-60 minute local newshow that goes softer: entertainment; cooking; lifestyle. If this station is set up that way, their morning crew might be able to put together a mix of recorded and live stuff for use in the morning and evening.

So the good-morning guy records the buses rolling in during the dark hours; the cameras tracks some of the sleepy MMs trudging into the gym and dropping on the floor; more footage of breakfast time and sleepy faces; and still more of the morning blocks, etc. Possible that some of that could be live. Basically, a chapterized approach to the day -- a day-in-the-life approach. That's the money phrase they will understand: Day in the Life. Good-morning guy can promote forward to the evening side where viewers who come back are promised a taste of the final product. Cross-promotion! Another magic word.

The evening newscast revisits some of the morning stuff first; then transitions to live shots in the lot/stadium . . . up-close looks at amazing licks and boss tosses, essentially completing the story of the day.

Selling points: it's a more complete story. It has a bit of drama (how did these kids do at the show?) It ties together two news properties -- the morning and evening newscasts. It captures actual performances, not just a kid or two banging on a random drum. (licensing is not a concern: legitimate news reporting is a safe harbor).

Bonus: Find the local kid in one of the performing corps. Sell him/her as the story line to the TV station.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

Great effort, but to me, after 45 years of DCI just accept that nothing outside of our little niche really changes all that much, even with multiple attempts over the years to bring the quality to the outside sources, so to me why even try with this guy.  Just smile, say that you cannot intrude on the corps during their sleeping hours; thank him for the interest, (and whatever you do just do not give him an axe). That is my 2 cents.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, garfield said:

or tell TV-guy "Sorry, this is the way it works and NO you can't bang on some drums"?

Great effort G for trying to put this together.  If you can't get another station interested see if this station can send the afternoon/night shift to do what 2MC suggested.  

Attempts like this have been done before and the news spot has been put on DCP and that's the end of it.

Can DCI provide pre-recorded footage of the corps competing in the show? Would the station accept this? Better than nothing. 

I can tell you one corps that would say NO THANK YOU when it comes to members having to lose floor time to do what you have described. 

Personally doubt, with the restrictions you've described, that it would increase your attendance by +2.
Don't agree that "any exposure is good exposure."  I always cringe when I see the "football Friday night" band features.  The fact that the reporter wants them to do some tricks and let him bang on a drum says it all.

• Like 3