TV Bando Drumline thing

1 hour ago, garfield said:

This obviously didn't garner much interest, but the end result is that the TV people are coming!  Yay! (?) !

Sorry Stu, but this was a good learning experience for us.  We were wrong.

Gar: Whether I end up being right or wrong is not the issue for me.  This is, however, a serious issue to consider. While there have been some excellent reports over the years, please watch the entire posted video.  (It represents the 'exact' request from your reporter), and is typical of how a high quality marching activity is treated and viewed by those in the media.  Something like this may or may not happen with your situation, especilly with the language, but the possible risk of something like this happening is very real.

Edited by Stu

too bad the writer of Groundhogs Day didn't think of doing the morning of a 

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Gar: Whether I end up being right or wrong is not the issue for me.  This is, however, a serious issue to consider. While there have been some excellent reports over the years, please watch the entire posted video.  (It represents the 'exact' request from your reporter), and is typical of how a high quality marching activity is treated and viewed by those in the media.  Something like this may or may not happen with your situation, especilly with the language, but the possible risk of something like this happening is very real.

Thanks Stu.... Great Story.... Compelling and Rich.....

An now onto international news where our man in the Middle East, Brit Hume, will update us on recent treaty talk.... Brit?

This obviously didn't garner much interest, but the end result is that the TV people are coming!  Yay! (?) !

Sorry Stu, but this was a good learning experience for us.  We were wrong.

After consultation with my show partner, the retired band director of the host/show site school with a LONG pedigree in drum corps and college band, his suggestion was, essentially:

"Get over yourself" (my words, not his)

He didn't think it'd be hoaky at all, and there's a station in his home town that does this same thing and it's very popular.  It is here, too.  This is show-morning coverage and, no matter how hoaky, great advertising that puts BITS.

Interestingly (and I will reveal this), when I contacted the folks at Cascades, he said the exact same thing.  They've done this type of show before and it's no big deal.  He even said that I could drop off the TV crew and they'd keep them busy for the whole three hours.  "Let 'em bang on drums and try to twirl the flags.  Ham sells with eggs and toast."

LOL

So, if it's me and Stu against the experience close to me, and the corps itself is not aggin' it, I should help them do it.

I meet the TV crew at the school at 6:30am Monday morning!  Get them started and I'm off to greet five arriving corps in about 4 hours. 

Show Day!

Committed and interested.  You are committed to your show and to DCI.  The news people are most likely only mildly interested.  

Using your breakfast example, it reminds me of the analogy of  Committed vs. Interested and breakfast.  As it applies to breakfast, the chicken is interested and the pig is committed.

gotta tell ya', this was one of the finer things I've done for this little niche.

A total and complete success by a professional, interactive, sensitive, curious, and daring team from the local Fox affiliate this morning.

And a VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU AND KUDOS to Michael Tran and Seattle Cascades.  They were for-warned and those kids jumped right in at 7:15am to ham it up and put on a great face and show.  Cameron was a GREAT host, and all it took was some enthusiasm and background for him to get a feel how to not let it be "drum-lined".  It helped that the camerman was in band, and that the producer in the news room marched Cadets in the early '90's!  HOW LUCKY WAS THAT!!??

http://myfox28columbus.com/good-day-columbus/around-town/cam-around-town-emerald-city-music-games

I'm the dorkiest thing about these videos.

Cameron gave me a big hug afterward and said "I DEFINITELY want to come back next year!"  Sounds like morning-of TV coverage of the show is in the bag, so long as we let him be part of the gag. Next year, I think we'll comp Cameron and his producer tickets to the show.

Stu, for me it was a lesson in not letting my pre-conceived notions of what < I > think drum corps should be dictate my actions and, instead, let the kids and the paying public decide what it is to them.  I reinforced that I only have the vehicle for delivering the message (in the show), I don't have the message itself.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 5

On 7/28/2017 at 6:33 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Career news guy here. Not TV, but I know the type. Great work getting their attention, but also: my sympathies.

Are they open to some exclusive access during corps waking hours, and during show, that they can record and show the following morning, with results? Maybe some GoPro access that they can really hype, plus they can add in the drama of the outcome of (what will be the previous night's) contest. Could match up local TV talent guy against a color guard member on a rifle; against a tenor drummer in a drum line; against a tuba player, etc. Play it for laughs. Give them great access during day-of-contest rehearsal time, and at the show where possible. Basically, if you can't give them live-time, give them great access.

EDIT: Just read your latest post: It really is live or nothing huh?

That's what I would do, offer him b roll of previous shows, offer to have interviews that could be cut to go over the top of the footage. Maybe have a local kid or two available for interviews, feed them likely good questions to ask that have a strong local connection. Make sure you play up the local angles, i.e. How many kids in this show are from the area, how many local high school bands will be in attendance, etc. 

I probably would suggest to not allow them to bang on drums mostly because, unbeknownst to him, he will look like a moron to the thousands of viewers who know infinitely more about drum corps than he does. If he wants to talk about a drum line, get him b roll of the cavaliers drum feature, or the Bluecoats drum feature, and let him ask the kids what it's like to learn and perform that.

gotta tell ya', this was one of the finer things I've done for this little niche.

A total and complete success by a professional, interactive, sensitive, curious, and daring team from the local Fox affiliate this morning.

And a VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU AND KUDOS to Michael Tran and Seattle Cascades.  They were for-warned and those kids jumped right in at 7:15am to ham it up and put on a great face and show.  Cameron was a GREAT host, and all it took was some enthusiasm and background for him to get a feel how to not let it be "drum-lined".  It helped that the camerman was in band, and that the producer in the news room marched Cadets in the early '90's!  HOW LUCKY WAS THAT!!??

http://myfox28columbus.com/good-day-columbus/around-town/cam-around-town-emerald-city-music-games

Cameron gave me a big hug afterward and said "I DEFINITELY want to come back next year!"  Sounds like morning-of TV coverage of the show is in the bag, so long as we let him be part of the gag. Next year, I think we'll comp Cameron and his producer tickets to the show.

Stu, for me it was a lesson in not letting my pre-conceived notions of what < I > think drum corps should be dictate my actions and, instead, let the kids and the paying public decide what it is to them.  I reinforced that I only have the vehicle for delivering the message (in the show), I don't have the message itself.

I didn't see my kid in any of those shots. He's brass and if anything, would be running away from the cameras, lol! The kids handled it well, I tell you what, you could see they were tired and not having it. 

In the end though, great publicity for the Cascades and the show as well. And what a great show it was, at least what I could see on the Cascades periscope. 

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Gar: I am glad that everything turned out well; that your contest, DCI, the corps, and the youth were all placed in a positive TV experience with a positive outcome!!  And I know that without risk there is no real reward!

That stated, I want to relate to you something that I learned a while back about evaluating the quality of decision based on a positive outcome as opposed to the decision itself.  I was needing to get home by a certain time, it was not an emergency, I just needed to get home at that time. As I drove I ended up with one of those experiences where ya just catch each intersection red.  So, I decided to run the last red light; I looked both ways and there were no other cars, I did not have a wreck, nor cause any wrecks, nor get a ticket, and I did indeed get home in time (positive outcome).  But, was the ‘quality of my decision’ to run that red light a good decision based on the fact that I had a positive outcome?

Anyway, I will leave it to you to figure out how that might apply to... “Can’t you just get some kids to bang on drums and maybe do some tricks or something! Maybe let me beat on a drum, too?”

Again, though, I am very happy for you, DCI, the corps, and the youth that the outcome was positive!!

Edited by Stu