The Official DCI Southeastern Championship Thread - July 29, 2017

1 minute ago, CrownBariDad said:

Nope.  There is a GH sighting.  Walking the field talking on a phone or recorder. 

Measuring the hashlines?  :laughing:

• Like 2

Just now, DrumManTx said:

....  Feel like I touched a celebrity.  lol

This has multiple connotations, you know...   lol

• Like 3

GH

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

So, with Academy, I really love their showmanship. For years they have been one of the exemplars of what it means to communicate, which in scoresheet terms = GE. It's no different this year. They love to perform, and as a fan, that makes me love to watch and listen to them. 

But, Looney Tunes. It doesn't seem Looney enough. Looney Tunes is a overstoked steam engine rollicking down the tracks at breakneck speed, engine parts flying off, wheels falling off, careening around corners and shooting off the edge of a cliff stuff. Looney Tunes is an anvil dropping from the sky. It's black-powder guns exploding in your face; a saw cutting a hole in the floor from below. It's an outfielder running through the fence, leaving a perfect silhouette hole. It's a sidelong look and "What a maroon!"

There's not much of that in Academy's show. Overall, it feels too downtempo to stoke the Looney Tunes engine. A show built on Looney Tunes seems like it should leave the performers, and the audience, gasping for air at the end -- a dizzying, happy, death-defying, sweat-soaked ending. Something ludicrous, gravity-defying, dazzling.

Instead, the show feels 100 pounds too heavy.

I mean, I like it. I just wonder if it's all it could be.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, IntercalaryTurtle said:

Every time I'm at a show, I secretly hope to run in to him so I can ask for a picture with him

I was hoping to run into him too.  When I was driving the souvie truck.  :laughing:

• Like 1