The Official DCI Southeastern Championship Thread - July 29, 2017

31 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

Totally random but I took a look at flo mo's "rankings" and it predicts BD's score as being over 100 by the end of the season.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Their prediction system is probably logical, but apparently flawed.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not sure about that, but it is harder than a lot of people were giving it credit for early in the season, when there were comments about most of it being follow-the-leader.

Have you seen SCV's drill? 

It was a great day and night for Drum Corps!!  My Crown Block seats were right on the 50, midway up with a fantastic view of the field!!!  

SVC had, by far, the best show of the night and garnered the best crowd response!!  AWESOME DESIGN/DRILL, guard was FANTASTIC, percussion and brass were definitely enjoyed by the crowd!! A  majority standing ovation before they were finished their last note!!! They should have had 1st place.... just my opinion.

Blue Devils, also a great show..... THAT BALLAD!!!!..... My personal favorite out of the corps this season. Of course percussion and guard were on point!! My only thing with Blue Devils is the consistent park and blow they do. The judges obviously don't mind it so who am I.... LOL

Crown...... deserved 3rd.  Loved the brass changes and new ending, but the show fell a little flat tonight.  After seeing their show in person, I agree that the last half of the show design wise just doesn't have that WOW.  CrownBrass..... OUTSTANDING!!!  Very much improved percussion.  Guard drill, while good, still hasn't measured up to CrownGuard of previous years. Seemed like the snafu at the end of the ballad, with the guard not having enough time to cover all of their discarded uniforms. stood out like a sore thumb in the middle of the field.  1st time I have seen that kind of error from them. I feel their score tonight reflected that. I am sure that ending will develop better down the final stretch as they just learned this new ending this past week.

Overall, every corps really did a great job tonight!!!!!!!!!  The crowd response to each corps was wonderful and hopefully all of the hard working MMs felt the love!!!

It was well worth my 60 bucks!!!!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Alzam81 said:

Have you seen SCV's drill? 

Yes, which is why I disputed the claim that Bluecoats' drill is the hardest.

(That would actually be Crown. But I think fourth place is the right spot for them.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Western Burger said:

I'm pretty sure he meant it as sarcastic 

Speaking of being sarcastic, what happened to the Madison "Marching Mad Max's" in Atlanta tonight? 

Didn't see them in the lineup. 

It's Carnival time in Rio. ..............

Someone may already have mentioned this, but I see that DCI's homepage has a story whose blurb saying that BD beat SCV by 0.13 when it was actually 0.013.

(The text of the actual article gets it right.)

29 minutes ago, bvgordy said:

It was a great day and night for Drum Corps!!  My Crown Block seats were right on the 50, midway up with a fantastic view of the field!!!  

SVC had, by far, the best show of the night and garnered the best crowd response!!  AWESOME DESIGN/DRILL, guard was FANTASTIC, percussion and brass were definitely enjoyed by the crowd!! A  majority standing ovation before they were finished their last note!!! They should have had 1st place.... just my opinion.

Blue Devils, also a great show..... THAT BALLAD!!!!..... My personal favorite out of the corps this season. Of course percussion and guard were on point!! My only thing with Blue Devils is the consistent park and blow they do. The judges obviously don't mind it so who am I.... LOL

Crown...... deserved 3rd.  Loved the brass changes and new ending, but the show fell a little flat tonight.  After seeing their show in person, I agree that the last half of the show design wise just doesn't have that WOW.  CrownBrass..... OUTSTANDING!!!  Very much improved percussion.  Guard drill, while good, still hasn't measured up to CrownGuard of previous years. Seemed like the snafu at the end of the ballad, with the guard not having enough time to cover all of their discarded uniforms. stood out like a sore thumb in the middle of the field.  1st time I have seen that kind of error from them. I feel their score tonight reflected that. I am sure that ending will develop better down the final stretch as they just learned this new ending this past week.

Overall, every corps really did a great job tonight!!!!!!!!!  The crowd response to each corps was wonderful and hopefully all of the hard working MMs felt the love!!!

It was well worth my 60 bucks!!!!

It actually isn't an snafu ever since they've added sabres to the the ballad and discard them with the skirts and tops they've always been ending after the last cord! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Yeah I know it doesn't hold the top score for a 4th place corps but I was meaning just personally it remains my top 4th place corps. That show holds a special place in my heart though. It's the one show that I thought was a terrible idea and would never work out when I found out about it in the spring and I couldn't have been more wrong when it came to life in the summer. Just the design of the show as a whole and getting 10 pieces of music to weave in and out of each other seamlessly was just crazy. The performance levels were also crazy good. Just a good show. 

My favorite 4th pl. Corp. will always be 2015 Cadets. Won the Ott, a tick away from the Sanford !!

Edited by onionhead
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, which is why I disputed the claim that Bluecoats' drill is the hardest.

(That would actually be Crown. But I think fourth place is the right spot for them.)

Crown has done more drill than anyone the past two years and not just for the sake of doing drill.   Great job this year too, I have enjoyed watching what they have done.  

• Like 1

Thanks once again for all the commentary everyone. I appreciate the time and effort. (I'm not there live and not watching on Flo.) Some strategic browsing through the thread gives me a (small) feel of how things are evolving leading up to Indy.

DCP folks are nearly always positive and decent, uncommon qualities for an online presence these days. Even when people disagree, there's a very low jerk ratio.