The Official DCI Southeastern Championship Thread - July 29, 2017

28 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

Hard to debate someone who uses alternative facts, such as BD standing for 8 minutes. That is patently false and obvious to anyone who has actually watch the show. As far as 100 drill charts...again, this is a "visual" caption, not a "marching" caption. 100 drill charts show a lot of marching skill but not a lot of variety of skills. Maybe you should lobby DCI to get rid of visual and change the caption to marching (though I expect you would be disappointed when the Blue Devils maxed out that one next year as well).

Maybe DCI needs to define what makes a visual content score higher then???? And what about those corps that have a great combination of both staging and drill???

ill tell you what. Let's do this. 

you go back to the beginning of this thread and do push ups while reading the posts from top to bottom and I'll just stand here and read while touching my nose. 

Or how about I choreograph a routine to be danced while reading and you just stand there holding your arms stretched out.  

Which is harder???? DCI please let us know. 

I know what the obvious choice would be. 

I don't think anyone is arguing the excellence that BD brings. I think that many are confused as to how judges decide on what is what. 

And BTW I was generalizing when I stated the 8 minutes and 100 drill charts.I didn't say that was BD.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Because BK has a lackluster visual program 

It's just lackluster enough that it might pass PR.

Visual spreads, PR vs. BK:

Jul 22 1.3
Jul 26 0.95
Jul 28 0.87
Jul 29 0.6

If PR can clean its beast, they'll be impossible to pass in the visual caption, imo. But if BK can keep it just close enough visually, they can find their margin in the GE and music captions.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fifer said:

But when you're comparing all these corps on video from the same show, using the same audio equipment (both at the source and by the listener), with the same mic set-up, etc. you can trust your comparison.  And, compared to other horn lines, Phantom's trumpet line is noticeably weaker than the rest of the line, often being lost in the sound of the rest of the horn sections with frequent points of intonation and a somewhat squeaky tone.  The rest of the line is very good, but they're not getting dinged for the sopranos/trumpets as much as they should.

I saw both corps in Nashville, and to me there was no comparison musically between Phantom and BK. Blue Knights had a much much bigger sound, a much more even ensemble sound, and the BK high brass was among the top four. Phantom has gotten better as the season has progressed, for sure, but it is very obvious they are not marching as many trumpets and mellows as Knights or really any other top corps.

Where the two clearly separate is visual. Phantom clearly made the decision to emphasize guard this year and they are reaping the benefits down the stretch. Knights just don't focus as much on guard performance and design, it's not their philosophy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

They already have. It's on the sheets that all of the corps helped create and agreed to abide by for competition.

but just like a marriage, when communication stops and you already think you know how the other will answer, the marriage dies.

19 hours ago, ApathyJones said:

This isn't even directed at Crown specifically, but I would pay 20k if DCI banned all amplified singing next year.

Kickstarter or GoFundme campaign commence. ;-)

Before the moment is lost, I thought I'd share some brief thoughts.

Academy - show theme is cute.

Blue Stars - Nice brass line. I don't get Lady Marmalade.

Blue Knights - drumline is hella good. 

Phantom - I think I counted 200 guard members.

Cadets - the show has cleaned up a lot, and the glorious closing three notes cures a LOT of ills. You can dress them up in ketchup and mustard robes, but Cadets bad-assery cannot be contained. Snareline was BRINGING it! I think the show needs more crosses (joke). Really, my only beef with the show is the tarp with the cross where they just toss discarded uniforms on it. Seems kinda disrespectful.

Cavaliers - I don't like the props. Guard did a lot of really impressive stuff. I wish the closer were more Mars, less Frank, but it's an interesting mash-up.

Bluecoats - The uniforms take away my visual enjoyment of the show. Zappa was great. Show looks fun to perform.

SCV - Delivered in every possible way. I like the old ending better, but that is nit-picking. There isn't a #### thing wrong with this show.

Blue Devils - From the ballad to the end, it is a brass explosion. A jaw-dropping show. I'm not sure anyone is beating them. Here's the big rub: They amplified the HELL out of them. A very noticeable difference in volume from the vast array of speakers lined up. I was 2nd row on the 50, and it was almost offensively loud. My ears were still ringing the next morning. I'm concerned about the effect of the amplification arms race on the activity. I'm only singling BD here because they were the loudest by far.

Crown - I love the improvements made on the music. Anna sounded great. The singing really works in the closer, but I still find myself waiting for the ballad to be over, which is usually their strong suit. It's not the singing so much as the source material. It's not a song I plan to seek out to listen to. No one to know one, on the other hand, is a really cool song that I have listened to many times. 

SoA - Georgia encore sounded fantastic. SoA is moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, I missed their show due to traffic.

Shout-out to Maceachern High school and DCI for making the show work. And to all marching members, I salute you!

Edited by lanceengland
typo
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2017 at 4:59 PM, Fred Windish said:

Probably, the best CV I've seen since they came on the DCA scene!  Definitely have a shot at a Top 3 finish at Rochester, just not First. Bucs are really strong. Congratulations to Dan, Marvin, and crew!

Thank you for your comment. This is without a doubt the strongest Atlanta CV of my now 20 years marching with the corps. We are having a Fan Appreciation Night next Saturday, August 5th at Hiram High School. The fun begins at 8 PM and admission is free! This will be a full run, in uniforms, and with more stuff!

• Like 1