TOC/NightBEAT Winston-Salem, NC - July 30

I'm a long time member, but I haven't posted much in quite a while. I've been in and out reading and following a long from time to time. Just haven't had much to say that wasn't already being said.

Still, I'd like to share some humble opions on the current top 4 as July nears it's end, and the DCI season enters it's final stages of acceleration.

I haven't seen any live drum corps yet this year, so the grain of salt is on the house. I'll be lucky enough to be in Dublin tomorrow and in Massillon a week later, though. 

SCV - Wow! What a corps! A lot of things are coming together for them this year! The battery is still aruguably the best in the biz. The challenging original visual identity has taken another huge step forward with the addition of Michael Gaines's input. The hornline, consistantly outstanding for years, is gaining (regaining?) it's own identity based in the balance of precision and expression. 

They are well deserving of the love fans and adjudicators alike are heaping on them. I will love seeing them medal this year. As in, I don't see them dropping to 4th, or really at all. I'm not quite convinced they'll be champions this year, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if they pulled it off.

Bloo -- (it's only fair to warn: I'm a homer here). That closer is killing them. This is 3/4 of a championship design. The relentless dedication to performance level, the showstopping moments, the innovative visual design and prop(s), the tasteful and exciting approach to electronics and amplification? They're all there, evolving as they have the last several years. And I don't believe what I see as a slightly less effective design choice will see them drop below 4th. I just think the ballad lacks the juxtaposed subtlety and power that choices like Hymn to Axiom and Great Gig in the Sky exemplified. I see the bronze as their ceiling right now.

Blue Devils - It's true that they park to do some of their best barking, but it is, to my ears, the best barking the activity has to offer. I could bathe in that brass sound. I know many prefer the pyramid balance and faat tone that Crown brings. Far be it from me to say those folks are wrong. I prefer the top heavy, nuanced approach we find in Concord though. And what they are doing visually is certainly effective if you ask me. Is what SCV is doing more effective? We shall see. As was the case a year ago, I find BD simply amazing, yet not unbeatable.

Crown - Up through the ballad, I. am. so. on. board. I thoroughly enjoy the solo vocal here. The performer is terrific, and the hornline has found a way to blend with that, not only supporting or accompanying the vocal, but interacting with the soloist. Then, in the second half of the program, I can't escape the feeling that they're trying to Einstein-on-the-beach me, nor the feeling that it's just not on the same level. I love seeing them try to innovate like this. Honest. I'm just not enjoying this particular run at it as much as I want to. The vocal in the more "modern" pieces (forgive an over simplification -- and one of likely dubious accuracy at that) starts to feel like it limits the sound pallet after a point. The performance is still top notch, and I think the integrated vocal works for quite a while. To my taste it just hangs on to the point of overbearance. I believe bronze is their ceiling. I'd prefer to see them in 4th, but I admit a healthy dose of Bloo homerism colors that opinion.

Now we've got two weeks left. Any one of these groups could certainly still surprise me (or certainly even the judges). Luckily I'll have live viewings of three of them to inform my developing opions (oh how I wish I could catch BD live this year!) 

As always, the season's end is coming too fast. As always, I'm blown away by the achievements of EVERY corps, not just the top placers. As always, the ride is phenomenally entertaining and inspiring. Best of luck to all the performers, educators, designers, administrators, parents, volunteers, and supporters. This $%!& is fun, amirite!?

• Like 6

WTG Scouts

Lulz. He screwed up score announcements 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zerosixthirty said:

Are they really marching G bugles?

Yes. The USMC D&BC used Kanstul G bugles. They sound fantastic. Of course, they have great players. Think about it, that was a 48 piece brass line and they sound big and amazing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MyKids#1Fan said:

For me it's not the quality of the vocals....she's very good.  

Its the quantity.......it goes on and on and on

i'm amazed that you people can't hear that she can't sing on pitch. it's glaring