Oskaloosa, IA - July 29, 2017

Drum Corps Mid America

Oskaloosa, IA | Saturday, July 29, 2017

LINEUP & TIMES

All times local venue and subject to change.

3:00 p.m. Box Office Opens
7:00 p.m. Welcome & National Anthem
7:10 p.m. Southwind - Mobile, AL
7:26 p.m. Les Stentors - Sherbrooke,
7:42 p.m. Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA
7:58 p.m. Guardians - Houston, TX
8:13 p.m. Intermission
8:29 p.m. Gold - Oceanside, CA
8:45 p.m. Blue Devils B - Concord, CA
9:01 p.m. Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Last night's 6 point jump for Guardians caught most of us by surprise. Tonight we'll see if they can maintain the momentum - a lot of changes got put in, and everyone seems to like it!

If you're there tonight, please cheer extra for their backfield conductor on the right - she's my kiddo!

Mike

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

Guardians have cleaned up a ton musically tonight. Upper brass is night and day from last week. We'll see what the judges think. 

(And if anyone else wants to comment on this show so I'm not talking to myself, jump in! :) )

Mike

Yes vanguard!!!! Finally!! They brought that dead crowd to life for sure

• Like 2

Great show tonight. I wish more people were there, but that's what you get in the middle of nowhere USA.

BDB had a "nice" show. But, much like their A corps, Vanguard Cadets were a site to behold. Their show just...doesn't...stop. Many exposed brass impacts and some tasty articulation. Props used effectively and added splashes of color at appropriate times.

Gold's growing theme was easy to follow. Not a fan of the Carthart uniforms and baseball caps. But some big brass hits.

Was excited to see Guardians after falling in love with them last year. Can can appreciate many of the things they are trying to do, but the show felt a little flat to me. Sound effects and pre-recorded vocals were not balanced in such a small venue. It was almost painfully loud. The kids sell the show and are clearly having fun with it.

Les Stentors ask a lot of their members. They have a fully miked small ensemble ala Vanguard. But theirs is actually the entire brassline! All six of them. The battery plays brass instruments for a couple of numbers. Lots of talent here. A cool guard effect with one girl wrapped in many long ribbons. Their feature singer did a fantastic job.

Welcome back Southwind! Big sound to open the show! Some great arrangements of familiar pieces, executed very well. I particularly enjoyed their version of Radionhead's Creep.

Colt Cadets are my son's corps (rightmost marimba). Their show this year is much more mature than last year. As so many corps have, they've made tremendous progress this year and are eager for a chance to return to Open Class finals in one week. The battery and horn line especially have done a lot of cleaning lately. I think it shows in the confidence of their performance.

What a fun show tonight. Perfect weather. If only the season wasn't almost over!

• Like 2

So the judges are one day behind, I guess. Better late than never, unless it's Finals night.