Salem, VA - July 31, 2017

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yes.  The blue ridge parkway cuts right through the area.  They filmed "Dirty "Dancing" In the area.  Mountain Lake Lodge in Pembroke. 

Would like to have Big Bird and I take a ride on "The Dragon" some day which is way South of the show area.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rhumbline said:

Salaam

I know some Arabic actually..and "Salem" would be a bit insulting...for example assalamu alaikum "peace be upon you" ....but Egyptian friends of mine have greeted me with salam alaikum...although this use refers to greetings made in paradise...either way it's not SALEM...didn't find it funny...

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Would like to have Big Bird and I take a ride on "The Dragon" some day which is way South of the show area.

We live about two hour south of the "Tail of the Dragon," and we love occasionally driving our convertible up there and taking a spin on the Dragon. Such a gorgeous area from there all the way up to the Salem area.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, oldsoprano said:

We live about two hour south of the "Tail of the Dragon," and we love occasionally driving our convertible up there and taking a spin on the Dragon. Such a gorgeous area from there all the way up to the Salem area.

My soul and my family is there. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

14 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

My soul and my family is there. 

I have driven the tail twice in two different sports cars; was not able to enjoy it either time; my experience was a constant interruption both times by motorcyclists passing me, flipping me off, and cussing me, and were apparently mad at me for driving a car on 'their' motorcycle road.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have driven the tail twice in two different sports cars; was not able to enjoy it either time; my experience was a constant interruption both times by motorcyclists passing me, flipping me off, and cussing me, and were apparently mad at me for driving a car on 'their' motorcycle road.

Being a motorcyclist myself...I find that hard to believe...you must have did something to deserve it...which is usually the case because drivers seem to be oblivious to the fact that we are on the road as well...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

I never had that problem. I always pull over if I come to a safe place whenever I see bikes in my rear view, because even though I'm driving a Jaguar and COULD drive fast, I choose to take a more leisurely drive and not wrap the car around a tree in one of the 318 curves.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Being a motorcyclist myself...I find that hard to believe...you must have did something to deserve it...which is usually the case because drivers seem to be oblivious to the fact that we are on the road as well...

Nope, the first trip they came whizzing up behind me then flipped me off as they passed; like I was in their way. On the second trip I stopped at a pub or restaurant somewhere midway through and heard cussing while seeing that they were pointing at my car barking about four wheelers needing to get off of 'their' road. Since then I have also seen a few TV interviews concerning the tension that exists between a lot of two wheeler enthusiests who frequent the tail and the 'tourists' in automobiles who they say get in their way on 'their' road. I have nothing against motorcyclists, I enjoy riding dirt bikes myself; but I have also talked to a few others who have driven cars on the tail with similar experiences.

This sounds to me like two twisted tales of tormented tailgaters torn to terrible tribulations, I tell ya.

Edited by BRASSO